Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 25 replies

AMOLED Screens

Lederhosen19

Jan 2, 2011, 1:56 AM
I'm not sure if I'm the only one who thinks this, but personally I'm not a huge fan of the new AMOLED screens. I've briefly played with a few Samsungs that have them [one running Android, the other running Windows] and I think they look awful. There's a noticeable "screen door" effect and they look very low-res or like there's pixels missing v.s an LCD with the same resolution. Does anyone else feel the same way, or know why? 😕
olderthandirt

Jan 2, 2011, 4:16 PM
Have not had enough interaction with the epic customers. Selling more EVOs than Epics.
Thought the led would be a great feature on the phones. Sounds like maybe not.

Have to actually go look at one someday.
phantom mullet

Jan 3, 2011, 12:27 PM
The Super AMOLED screens are incredible. I've handled both of Verizon's Galaxy S devices as well as the Epic and those three devices have the highest resolution and most crisp display of any mobile device I've seen. The iPhone is comparable if you crank the brightness up, otherwise no contest.

There's no 'screen door' effect. The display is absolutely gorgeous.
Cosmic Spiderman

Jan 3, 2011, 6:50 PM
Have to agree! Downside is they use a little more battery...
isler45

Mar 23, 2011, 10:17 AM
Yea the super AMOLED screens are amazing and its nice not having to deal with the glare issues so much.

http://www.phoneandtabletcases.com »
olderthandirt

Mar 29, 2011, 3:26 PM
This is good to hear as I would of expected it to be better.
Rich Brome

Jan 3, 2011, 6:56 PM
Are you only comparing to the iPhone 4?

The "Retina" display in the iPhone 4 has the highest pixel density of any mobile display at the moment, so anything else is going to seem a bit less crisp, or have a "screen door effect" if you look really closely.

But compared to most phone displays, the OLED displays on the Galaxy S series, etc. (like the Captivate or Focus) are considered very good and compare favorably an LCD of similar size and resolution.
Lederhosen19

Jan 3, 2011, 9:08 PM
I'm comparing it to LCDs with the same 800 x 480 resolution. It feels like there's pieces every other pixel missing and everything is more choppy. I even think the screen on my Bold looks better. I guess it's all a matter of person opinion though.
Rich Brome

Jan 3, 2011, 9:26 PM
Man, you are looking way closer than most people. 😛

Are these things you can see at 1-2 feet away (normal use) or just when you hold it up to your eye? I would argue that unless it bothers you from a distance of 18 inches, it's a non-issue.

Some of them do "cheat" a bit with sub-pixels. The Nexus One OLED screen is one infamous example of this. It did not have all three colors (red green and blue) for each advertised "pixel" making up the "full" resolution. This did affect the image quality and make it look as you describe. It annoyed me, although it doesn't seem to annoy most people.

But I haven't heard this complaint about any of the recent Samsung sAMOLED phones.
Menno

Jan 6, 2011, 3:02 PM
For me, amoled screens seem less "crisp" than an LCD screen is with a comparable resolution. Once you're using a phone exclusively, you don't notice it at all, but if I put my AMOLED Dinc next to my OG droid text seems to "Pop" more on the OG droid, but pictures and everything else look much better on the Dinc.

I don't use a samsung AMOLED personally, so I can't really compare it directly, but when handling them, they also seem "fuzzy" compared to an LCD screen.

But like I said, the effect is so minor I only notice it when I'm using both devices, which most customers won't.
Lederhosen19

Jan 6, 2011, 10:09 PM
Haha yeah, I have a tendency to look very closely at screens. I'm sure from normal distances it's fine, but I do look very closely at screens.

And Menno pretty much described exactly how I feel about them.
Rich Brome

Jan 6, 2011, 11:00 PM
Well dammit. Now you've ruined it for me. 😛

Since this conversation, I've been looking more closely for this, and noticing it more here at CES.

As I said before, it's an issue of sub-pixels. It can happen with both LCD and OLED, I believe. The issue isn't inherent in OLED technology, it's just that some popular OLED panels have an unusual sub-pixel arrangement that sort of cheats to get the stated resolution.

What I mean is that... on a normal display, each pixel has red, green and blue. On the screens where you're noticing this issue, there are only two colors per pixel. One pixel might have blue and green, while the next pixel has red and blue, for example. This leads to the less-smooth appearance of straight lines that you're ...
(continues)
Steve Jobes

Jan 15, 2012, 11:32 AM
Rich Brome said:
Well dammit. Now you've ruined it for me. 😛

😛 🤣
desireuser442

Jan 21, 2011, 5:00 PM
i personally get to work with these phones and use them everyday. the bold and the mesmerize and if you feel things are more pixelation on your bold then let me take a look because you have the best bold in the industry. the amoled screens are the best ive seen, i havent been able to look at the "retina display" just yet but it is better than any of the phones we have. the fps are much better on the mesmerize than the htc desire for gaming, plus the hummingbird proccesor in it just helps make everything more smooth.
CellStudent

Jan 12, 2011, 10:58 PM
I'll spare the physics lesson and just refer to my prior post on the matter:

https://www.phonescoop.com/carriers/forum.php?fm=m&f ... »

That water under the bridge, I do own and use a Galaxy S as my daily driver. It looks great indoors, as long as the image I'm looking at is less than 15% white.

The greens aren't quite as terrible on teh Super AMOLED, but the whites are actually just really intense blues pretending to be white.

Right now, it looks like us consumers get to choose between good whites (LCD) or good blacks (AMOLED), but nothing mass-market really knocks them both out of the park. Yet.
Rich Brome

Jan 12, 2011, 11:13 PM
The good news is that Samsung's just-announced "Super AMOLED Plus" fixes the sub-pixel issue. I don't know if they came up with a better green compound for OLED or what, but they state 50% more sub-pixels, and having seen it myself, up close, it does in fact look smooth like an LCD.
DavidNJ

Jan 19, 2011, 12:14 PM
How rugged are the AMOLED screens? More or less than others?
Rich Brome

Jan 19, 2011, 12:28 PM
Any kind of OLED is more rugged than LCD. LCDs have several relatively delicate layers. OLEDs have a simpler structure. It's just a grid of plastic dots that glow, basically. But at the moment most screens of both types involve at least one layer of glass.
Joby Dick

Jan 19, 2011, 9:07 PM
What's this I hear about 'gorilla glass'? From what I understand, the iPhone and a select few other smartphones use it, and it is a military grade hard glass, and is shatter-resistant. True?
Rich Brome

Jan 20, 2011, 7:25 AM
Yes most glass used in phones is chemically hardened to be much stronger than normal glass. Gorilla Glass in one brand from Corning that's quite popular and has impressive properties. It is very strong, shatter-resistant, and flexible.
IrishCarBomb

Jan 20, 2011, 6:34 PM
The iPhone does not have Gorilla glass, rather Apple's version, which isn't as good, but is still better than traditional screen glass technology.

The Galaxy S series of phones, Motorola Droid (milestone), and several other phones have the real Gorilla Glass by Cornings. If you go to cornings website, they have a complete list of phones/devices using the stuff.

That said, just like the iPhone, most smart phones have a version of Gorilla glass anymore, some are better than others, with Gorilla Glass being the gold standard.

Basically, like Rich said, it is chemically hardened through a process of heat cycles and then quenching it with specific chemicals, as well during the initial processing they incorporate certain chemicals and mi...
(continues)
tpusa

Apr 27, 2011, 9:36 AM
I prefer the new sAMOLED displays personally. 50,000:1 contrast ratio compared to the iphone 4's 800:1 contrast ratio.
Rich Brome

Apr 27, 2011, 9:51 AM
I am a big fan of Super AMOLED Plus, but not the older Super AMOLED. Only the new "Plus" screens have true, full pixels. The older Super AMOLED screens employ a sub-pixel layout that's noticeable to me; it has a "screen door" effect that doesn't look smooth at all (to me), because you're not actually getting the full 800 x 480 pixel resolution across the whole color spectrum.

I think the contrast ratio numbers can be deceptive to those bad at math (most of us.) It's important to check these things out in person. Looking purely at the numbers, some might think the 50:000:1 ratio is 60x better. It's not. On a scale of grey, with 0 being true black and 1,000 being true white, we're talking about the difference between 1 and 2. Most people wi...
(continues)
ElTriste

Jan 19, 2011, 10:28 PM
You have this issue sir because there is an apple as your logo. I go side by side with iphone 4s every day and every single owner is envious of the jaw dropping beauty, brightness, contrast, battery life, and out door function that my superamoled provides. Don't be sad ifail user, your 2 years will be over sooner than you know it 😁
AccessoryGeeks

Apr 13, 2011, 10:24 AM
Well, I have the Samsung Galaxy S: Captivate and the Super AMOLED screen is awesome. I put a screen protector over it and the screen still seems to be crisp and clear.

The Super AMOLED screen is supposed to be one of the best screens out on the market today. I can't see how you would see pixels on the screen.
The 4 inch Super-Amoled Display has a WVGA resolution and 16 million colours.
You can't go wrong with 16 million colours.
lxav06

Jan 14, 2012, 11:54 PM
I have a photon and and the sgs2 on sprint.
the amoled is WAY better. i had ran inception on both and the movie looks like a mini hd on the sgs2. it just looks better overall.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.