See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff=4&fi=2531609

Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

Back to message list

Grasping RAM, ROM, Flash, User, Built-in, and External Memory

by philwells    Sep 22, 2010, 1:57 AM

Hi,

I’m doing a report about Smartphones and the carriers for a non-profit organization called UCAN (www.ucan.org). I’m finding your site to be very helpful.

I’m trying to understand the seemingly interchangeable terms for memory that I find at different sites. I see RAM, ROM, Flash, User, Built-in, and External. The first and last a clear. Some phones don’t show a ROM spec but they show a Flash spec. I know that Flash memory is not RAM because it’s slower and I gather that it usually contains the OS + apps. Do some phones have the OS stored in a EPROM (i.e.ROM) instead of flash memory or are ROM and Flash the same?

Some phones show internal USER memory. I assume this to be part of either the flash memory or part of the microSD card – equivalent to the space on a HDD left over for user apps and files after the OS and those apps shipped w/ the phone are counted.

Can you help me out here?

Report to moderator

Replies

Reply You must log in to reply.

Back to message list

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Phone Scoop on Google+ Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2014 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.