Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 9 replies

Reception

thatphoneplace

Nov 8, 2003, 1:00 PM
I've heard a variety of opinions on why one phone/device has better reception than another. I realize that terrain and weather conditions has a lot to do with it. Over and above those two areas that obviously alters reception, would someone, anyone who might be truly knowledgeable about this subject, please enlighten me. If it's the price of the device, what in particular (that's inside) gives that device better reception capabilities than another? Thanking you in advance.
toddwood

Nov 8, 2003, 1:52 PM
the larger the phone generally the larger the antenna ( better reception ) but really anymore the phones are so advanced it does not matter. As long as you spend a little bit of money.
Rich Brome

Nov 8, 2003, 3:21 PM
There's a huge number of factors. It would be nice if we could pin it on one thing, but that doesn't seem to be case these days.

You used to be able to say that external antennas are better than internal, but these days certain companies like Nokia make damn good internal antennas, so it's hard to generalize on anything anymore.

Of course, there's a lot more than the antenna, like the baseband processor, SAW filter, power amplifier, and any number of other components, plus how they are arranged on the board and shielded from each other and outside interference...

So basically, it just comes down to the skill of the engineers.

So certain brands are better then others, right? Not necessarily... in fact, designing phones is complica...
(continues)
toddwood

Nov 8, 2003, 3:51 PM
That is probably why Siemens and Motorola are two of the worst companies out there. ☚ī¸
MarkF

Nov 9, 2003, 7:36 AM
One thing that I have always said in my 20 yrs. of wireless (mostly Public Safety 2 way radio) system design is that " a subscriber, whether that is a portable or fixed device is only as good as the system it talks to"

Basically what I'm saying is that you can have the best cell phone (or radio) made with the most fantastic specs for RX sensitivity, TX effective radiated power, and adjacent channel rejection, but put it on a provider that has poor backbone design and you have nothing more than a brick in your hand.

Now this isn't to say that all cell phones are good. There is some real garbage out there and my best recommendation is to research with those that you know and see what they are using. After that you can come to the board...
(continues)
pumpkin

Nov 10, 2003, 12:26 AM
also it doesnt really matter how much you spend, a nokia 1260 gets better reception then a motorola v60i, and the 1260 is just basic entry level phone, nothing fancy and the v60i is the most expensive tdma phone offered by attws. so its not always how much you spend.
toddwood

Nov 10, 2003, 9:50 AM
I would take any Nokia, Samsung or Sanyo over any Motorola phone they are the most un-user friendly phone, hard to program and everything. All their modesl are horrible, avoid like the plague!!!
pumpkin

Nov 13, 2003, 12:09 AM
yeha i have to agree with you there, i work at aws customer care, and when people call in to purchase that phone as an upgrade, i do everything i can to educate that person on what a bad choice they are making, the 120t is not as bad, but is not very good either. but some people are to concerned with the look of the phone and want a flip phone so they get the v60 and they dont want to hear about its problems, until 31 days after they get it when they start having issues (its always 31 days, never 30 they never call within buyers remorse, they wait until after and expect their money back, but sorry, you have 30 days)
jungleroom_x

Nov 30, 2003, 6:42 PM
In my area, customers have been telling us the LGVX6000 and Nokia 3589 (VZW) seem to be picking up the best. I went and worked at a different communications store up the road, maybe 80-90 miles, for a week. Up there, the old Audiovox 9000 and 9155 were the most prized phones because they picked up better than any phone on the market. People were adamant about getting them...to the point of scouring EBay for them and calling Audiovox up themselves and requesting them.

One thing a lot of people don't know is that the equipment in the tower itself can effect reception as well. Just because your phone rocks down in your area doesn't mean its going to get the same reception 300 miles away. Theres no such thing as absolute in the wireless ...
(continues)
iammebutnotme

Dec 5, 2003, 10:02 PM
The ability to do well on reception depends on your carrier and the technology of your phone. Based on some experience playing w/ some handsets, here are some of the best receiving phones I've seen:

#1: Sanyo (SprintPCS)
#2: Audiovox (VZW)
#3: Samsung (VZW, SPCS, T-Mobile)

I really need to give props to the guys at Sanyo. Their phones have the ability to pick up on fringe areas that other phones would simply say out of range. Audiovox is another good receiver, but they usually don't have the fun stuff that Sanyo and Samsung do. And who can say anything wrong w/ Samsung? They've been Consumer Reports best cell phone buy for the past 5 years running! The Koreans know how to make a good piece of electronics! 😁

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.