Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 10 replies

data plans

mm11536

Feb 15, 2010, 9:14 PM
I'm not sure if I'm wording this correctly. If we buy a data plan phone from say eBay, are we required to have a data plan thru our dealer? I would simply put a SIM card in from a flip phone, but the dealer says that AT&T will eventually find out we have a data plan phone and charge us for a data plan even though we don't want one.
southwestcomm

Feb 15, 2010, 11:37 PM
If you have a PDA AT&T - like all carriers - will require a data plan.
Chrissy0614

Feb 16, 2010, 4:40 PM
IM SORRY IS THIS A QUESTION? 😕
javier2100

Mar 1, 2010, 5:09 PM
I know its been 15 days but from personal experience with a nokia N78 smart phone and nokia expressmusic 5800 if at&t does not have the phone in their system they cannot charge you for a data plan because they simply don't know what kind of phone you have this has gone on for several years with my n78 when I did put a data plan it was only 15 dollars because they said I had my samsung phone that has been broken for a long time hope that helps sorry for the lack of punctuation
sinister

Mar 2, 2010, 10:17 AM
well ya better hope you dont have to call me for a troubleshoot, cause if do im gonna use a nifty lil tool called the mdm to ping your phone & see what you're using & as a troubleshooting step i am REQUIRED to update your imei & add that data plan 😁
Globhead

Mar 5, 2010, 5:56 AM
You ought to be in jail then.
edzero

Mar 7, 2010, 1:24 PM
they ought to be in jail? Because theyre doing their job?
I know for a fact that if your sim card is in a data phone, at&t DOES know and WILL charge you the $30 data plan. They will send you a text message before hand telling you this, whether you choose to ignore the message is your problem. However if you were using a data phone before Sept 09 without a data plan, you have nothing to worry about unless you change phone and/or sim card. The only way to take this data charge off of your plan is by getting your sim card into a non data phone. Again, your carrier DOES know what phone your using.
fullracecam

Mar 9, 2010, 6:49 PM
well thats not completly true as i have an iphone on t-mobile and they have to ask me everytime i call what phone i have so there are some holes in your facts.
Amarantamin

Mar 9, 2010, 9:46 PM
Nah, the carrier doesn't always automaticly know what phone you are using. Sometimes, a background script will have the SIM send the information to the carrier (such as in the above ATT example), but these scripts are rarely or never run within most cell companies, and they aren't %100 effective. It takes a lot of resources to have the SIM cards constantly pinging the network with the phone's model.

Now, what another person said about Tech support requiring proper phone information, this is correct. An early part of nearly every troubleshooting process we have is to verify that the phone in the system matches what the customer is using; if not, we must register the serial number, and we must place them on a compatible plan. A lot of tech ...
(continues)
viperguy

Mar 18, 2010, 8:09 AM
Yeah in most cases the system will detect what type of device you are using. If your going to buy a smart phone or PDA then why not use the data for it. Your arent going to buy a car without buying gas for it are you? same concept.
deepc

Jun 25, 2010, 5:15 PM
Actually, it's my understanding that T-Mo doesn't care if you have the data plan on if you have the line on a no contract plan where you pay the full price for the phone.

My understanding is that the only time that you are required to have data is when you are getting a free or discounted smartphone on a contract plan. T-mo also has some smartphone like the Nokia nuron and the Nokia Mode that don't require the web plan and only cost $10/mo if you do use it.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.