Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 27 replies

Sprint 4G handsets

MisterSuperSzar

Aug 11, 2009, 11:18 PM
Maybe I am behind the times, but has Sprint released any non-aircard 4G devices yet, or at least plan to? I understand that their 4G is still limited to very few markets (17 more by the end of the year, hopefully), but it would be very nice to utilize the full power of spectacular 4G speeds on, say, a BlackBerry.
mist668

Aug 23, 2009, 10:53 AM
No... Handset companies having created anything with built in 4g. 4g itself is still a few years from launch, even with their few markets open. I know verizon has at least two, one in washington state and maine, but no handsets. Manily for testing at this time.
gsmallover

Sep 14, 2009, 3:18 PM
I think all the 4g marketing was a little pre-mature
mist668

Sep 14, 2009, 3:23 PM
I love how the 4G markets are starting to pop up and I'm still stuck on f**kin EDGE.
mrpmpfan

Sep 15, 2009, 5:22 AM
Sprint has test areas of 4G like all the other carriers, no phones, and no aircards. WiMax (I think is the name they coined it) is not 4G but rather a 3.5G. It has an increased speed from traditional 3G networks but it is not using the new 4G technologies.
Rich Brome

Sep 22, 2009, 2:09 PM
WiMAX is 4G. It is one of two 4G techs (LTE being the other primary 4G technology.)
bigdfan70

Oct 27, 2009, 4:00 PM
sprint does have a 4g data card now ๐Ÿ™‚
filoman

Feb 6, 2010, 11:41 AM
You sure do like to put sprint DOWN ! Stop the crap posts. Sprint does have 4G and they will increase in as need be. 3.5G come on. Who is your service with. Big Red ? What do they have 3.2G ?
All your posts are anti sprint. And none based on fact.
filoman

Feb 6, 2010, 11:46 AM
O your an AT&T skid.
Rich Brome

Sep 22, 2009, 2:10 PM
Sprint claims they plan to have their first 4G (WiMAX / CDMA) smartphone available within about six months.
bigdfan70

Oct 27, 2009, 4:01 PM
that sounds right since they already have a 4g data card.....sprint is killing verizon and att right now ๐Ÿ˜
GraGG

Oct 27, 2009, 5:48 PM
o wait, no they arent ๐Ÿคจ
brandtz

Nov 9, 2009, 7:50 PM
Actually they are in pretty much all categories. With the exception of VZW doing seriously awesome device launch right now, Sprint is not churning as many customer's as VZW, they are constantly topping customer service results in the last few JD power's and our plans and overall value for service rocks, we have 4g already rolling out and are kicking serious tail on the nearest 'like' 4g technology.

Looking for more proof? Why does VZW only attack AT&T in it's commercials? Notice how they won't say crap about Sprint because they can't back it up.
VZWjny

Nov 28, 2009, 6:21 PM
Would be nice if you said that from an un-biased non-employee standpoint. As for everything that was said in that post, lol. Just lol. The attacking of ATT&T is because they are the only carrier coming close to our market dominance with their iPhone (revolutionary device, with a great company, that has less than great coverage) We don't attack Sprint because it would be a waste of time and resources. Who even uses Sprint anymore? Push to talk wahooo ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
Azeron

Nov 28, 2009, 7:56 PM
"...our plans and overall value for service rocks, we have 4g already rolling out and are kicking serious tail on the nearest 'like' 4g technology."

Yeah "our" and "we" are really killing your credibility right now. Even if what you are reporting about the number of customer's Verizon churned in quarter three are correct. Did they churn a greater percentage of customers than Sprint? I really do no want to go look the numbers up myself. You make assertions without backing them up.

"Looking for more proof? Why does VZW only attack AT&T in it's commercials? Notice how they won't say crap about Sprint because they can't back it up."

Seriously? Failure to attach your carrier in a commercial is proof? Of what?
brandtz

Nov 28, 2009, 10:15 PM
why must the percentage matter? Of course the percentage won't match when your dealing massively different customer base numbers.

If I had a group of 2 people that I was leading and 1 left, I just "churned" 50% of my group, which is horrible looking on paper but look at what it represents...

a low percentage churn rate does not mean a low amount of customer churn's..

http://news.vzw.com/investor/3Q2009.pdf »
page 8/9 of their own posted Q3 2009 report.

Total Customers 89,013 (in thousands)9/30/09)
Total Churn rate: 1.49% (3 Mos. Ended
9/30/09)

This is strictly referring to the amount of customer's cancelling, this is not referring to net add's which is all anyone likes to talk about because they say that is the bottom line.
(continues)
Azeron

Nov 28, 2009, 10:27 PM
Are you serious? If Verizon has 80 million customers and Sprint has 50 million and Verizon loses a 100 and Sprint loses 99 isn't the Sprint loss worse? So yeah the only fair way to judge is by percentage. Give them to me please. I really do not want to look this up myself. I will be more inclined to stop reading this thread than do actual work.
brandtz

Nov 28, 2009, 10:54 PM
distract all you want, why don't you say something relevant to the fact that verizon churned over 1 million sub's last quarter and pretend that is not significant?

Not just 1 million, we're talking 1.3 million +

let's not forget the only reason VZW is so much higher in their base count right now is due to buying up alltel.

You don't have to do any work, you've already lost because everyone in the media counts on you not doing your work, they would rather you just join the bandwagon that VZW is the leader and that "sprint is circling the drain".
Azeron

Nov 28, 2009, 11:50 PM
Distract? What are you talking about? I have nothing against Sprint. I like Sprint. I just cannot understand why you are ranting and raving in here.
Azeron

Nov 29, 2009, 12:15 AM
So let's see if Verizon churned a total of 1,326,100 customers in the third quarter of 2009 and Sprint churned 1,048,110 customers in the same time frame that says that Verizon is worse off despite actually gaining net customers when Sprint had a net loss in customers? Whose logic is this?

As to your assertion that "the only reason VZW is so much higher in their base count right now is due to buying up alltel."

Verizon gained 12.9 million customers by buying out Alltel. This was enough to surpass AT&T in subscribers but they were quite a bit larger than Sprint before.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/01/10/verizon-wi ... »
mist668

Dec 2, 2009, 5:22 PM
Verizon also has a large community of subscribers due to the landline services they offer. People like to combine their bills.

Personally att is the better network, ok mabye not as much 3G but where they do have it it rocks better then verizons crap.
VZWjny

Dec 2, 2009, 6:08 PM
Exactly personally. Verizon is better, will always be better, and is always getting better. Faaaaact. Most of ATT&T customers spend too much time ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
mist668

Dec 2, 2009, 7:42 PM
Lol how are they better? Their 3g data speeds suck. One minute I'm hitting 400kbps and the next I'm at 60kbps. Their 3g fluctuates way to much to be called 3g.
Azeron

Dec 2, 2009, 7:05 PM
There is no need to co-sign or respond to my comment. Having worked for both companies (AT&T and VZW) I have no dog in the fight. I could care less. I know all customers are being corn-holed by all providers. They are overcharging for air. If you consumers would stop defending the carriers and band together against them, perhaps you could bring the PPU messaging charges down.
VZWjny

Nov 29, 2009, 9:47 AM
Well hoss, just to let you know the majority of the customers that have churned were in fact ALLTEL converted customers who were having issues with device connectivity on the network. (Alltel is kind of like our redheaded step child, we got them cheap, and if we can get them in new contracts great, if they go...oh well.) The reports don't show how long the customers have been with us that churned, by the way, we still have more customers, a better and more reliable, and well like you said Sprint is still circling the drain.
Azeron

Nov 28, 2009, 11:09 PM
So, I decided to go to Google and push a few buttons. You complain that Verizon does not report its actual numbers of customers lost, well neither does Sprint. Each carrier reports total net (its just that Sprint reported a decline and Verizon an increase) *Shrug*

Sprint Third Quarter 2009 Results:
"For the quarter, net retail subscribers declined by a total of 135,000 and net wireless customers declined by approximately 545,000, including net losses of 801,000 post-paid customers รƒยขรขโ€šยฌโ€œ comprising 271,000 CDMA and 530,000 iDEN customers (including a net 64,000 customers who transferred from the iDEN network to the CDMA network)."

Wireless Churn

Post-paid churn in the quarter was 2.17% compared to 2.15% in the year-ago period an...
(continues)
VZWjny

Nov 29, 2009, 1:48 PM
Preach Azeron! ๐Ÿ˜
Azeron

Feb 7, 2010, 3:59 AM
Supersonic?!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.