Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 27 replies

Will a Cingular buyout of AT&T mean better coverage?

erict

Feb 16, 2004, 5:02 PM
Will coverage improve for both Cingular and AT&T customers since each will have access to the other's towers? (Does it work that way?)

And if that's the case, how long will it take before this benefit is available to the average consumer like me? days? weeks? months?

Lastly, if coverage does improve, how will Cingular's new improved coverage compare the the current Verizon coverage? (Coverage is the only reason I've been staying with Verizon so far.)

Thanks for any help.
MW2

Feb 16, 2004, 5:49 PM
i've got attws and can roam for free (local plan) anywhere in my state on cing or tmo.

i really hope vodaphone buys attws instead of cing 'cuz as bad as the new plans for attws that started today are, they are still better then cing.
cai

Feb 16, 2004, 6:12 PM
I currently have ATTWS and like you am hoping for better coverage in order to change to GSM. However, if Cingular wins the bidding war, I am not sure I will stay with ATTWS. Cingulat, the old CellularOne, was my first wireless company. As bad as ATTWS is today, Cingular seems to be worse. They charge the subscribers for changing their telephones. I am not talking about the charge for buying the telepohone, but an administrative charge for changing it. I am not impressed by that.
Ryo1549

Feb 16, 2004, 11:07 PM
I work for att and have Cingular as my WSP, And i have never been charged for an esn change thru cingular...I however did have to a pay a processing fee in which is the same as attws. But i can honestly say that cingular is better than attws.
Chip Hauler

Feb 17, 2004, 7:54 AM
I don't understand why it would be a better move to buy ATT than takeover Verizon? Vodphn already owns 45% of Verizon?

I'm too far removed I guess...
Linguist

Mar 21, 2004, 12:13 AM
cai said:
I currently have ATTWS and like you am hoping for better coverage in order to change to GSM. However, if Cingular wins the bidding war, I am not sure I will stay with ATTWS. Cingulat, the old CellularOne, was my first wireless company. As bad as ATTWS is today, Cingular seems to be worse. They charge the subscribers for changing their telephones. I am not talking about the charge for buying the telepohone, but an administrative charge for changing it. I am not impressed by that.

Hmm.. I work for AWS and we charge them the same way. $15 upgrade processing fee for any phone order through our upgrade systems. If you get the phone yourself somewhere else, that's a different story, and I don't k...
(continues)
Myth

Mar 21, 2004, 11:12 AM
Linguist said:
Hmm.. I work for AWS and we charge them the same way. $15 upgrade processing fee for any phone order through our upgrade systems. If you get the phone yourself somewhere else, that's a different story, and I don't know how that matches up with Cingular.

Pretty closely, actually.

$18 upgrade fee for using our contract-and-discount upgrade program.

No fee is you bring your own phone, or buy one at full price.

Same discounts and rebates as buying the phone new, and upgrade fee is 1/2 the $36 activation charge.
erict

Feb 17, 2004, 3:12 PM
It looks like the sale will be completed in late 2004 so really, I'm guessing it's going to be about 12 months before the average consumer sees any better coverage as a result. Am I right?

Also, just because they will have the largest customer base doesn't mean that the Cingular/AT&T network will have the most towers, does it?
Travinator

Feb 17, 2004, 6:31 PM
Better coverage if they get a Sprint PCS account yep!!! They could have the most towers with both Cingular & AT&T towers added together, but Sprint PCS still has the largest most complete network...lol can you here me now? 🤣
cellphfrk

Feb 18, 2004, 2:21 AM
lot of talk coming from a #4/#5 carrier! oh wait...you guys must be #5 since the merger and nextel being in front of sprint. Anyways, coverage will be better...you will notice!
Rich Brome

Feb 18, 2004, 7:02 PM
Actually, the merger will leave Sprint as the #3 carrier. Sprint was #4, but they move up one now. T-Mobile and Nextel are still almost tied for the last positions.
CDMA DUDE

Feb 23, 2004, 5:39 PM
🙂 The buyout may improve GSM coverage depending on whether the FCC will make Cingular sell off ATT networks in markets that have both , but service is not 100% guaranteed. Cingular uses 2 different gsm freq in the US depending on market (GSM 850/ GSM PCS 1900). My suggestion is to stick with th CDMA carriers (Verizon, US Cellular, Sprint, Alltel etc), CDMA has been a US standard since 1996 and has coverage in about 95% of the country, and most cdma carriers are 3G and moving towards 4G already.
MW2

Feb 23, 2004, 7:46 PM
and most cdma carriers are 3G and moving towards 4G already.

wrong, the cdma carriers are 2g or could possibly be considered 2.5g and are NOW moving to 3g.
NeumZ

Feb 23, 2004, 8:12 PM
...and 95% only with analog
MW2

Feb 23, 2004, 10:26 PM
haw, ya!
moobak

Feb 23, 2004, 11:19 PM
As well, Verizon uses two different frequency bands for their network, only Sprint can really boast one frequency used for their entire network. 🙂
Linguist

Mar 21, 2004, 12:15 AM
You knock those analogs, but you know in your heart of hearts that a bag phone works better than any modern one.

Now if only I could get a bag phone with a camera... 🙂
MW2

Mar 21, 2004, 1:49 PM
UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BAG PHONE!
: P

that's been almost 10 years ago for me, thnx for making me feel old.
hehe
TMGuru

Feb 23, 2004, 10:13 PM
95%? What country are you living in?
moobak

Feb 23, 2004, 11:20 PM
95% of the POPULATION, not 95% of the country. Who cares if it works in squirldick CO, when they can only pick up analog in downtown LA. 😛
simplymarcus

Feb 25, 2004, 8:05 PM
I work for cingular. I have to tell you that the buyout just means at&t brand will no longer exists. AT$T and Cingulaar have had roaming agreemnts since the start of GSM. CDMa is cool but what makes GSm different it is all digital and all your features work no matter where you are. On CDMA if you go into analog mode none of your features will work.
mmdstech

Feb 25, 2004, 9:10 PM
CDMA isn't all digital? Try again. Sales folks make me laugh. As far as your comment about analog. At least your CDMA tri-band handset will work in the middle of nowhere. Not saying I'm a big fan of analog, but having limited service is better than n/s.
simplymarcus

Feb 26, 2004, 7:37 AM
I am not a sales person I am a customer service person by the way. Cingular customer who want service in rural areas. They can go to our GAIT service which is both GSM/TDMA. GSM is rapidly growing and the west coast for Cingular is all GSM and they are very happy about it. I have heard nothing but good thing and in independent testing GSM provided the best call quality. I have used Verizon phones and Sprint phones and cingular and AT&T. Also GSm coverage for cingular includedes all GSM carriers in the country so cingular might not be in an area but anywhere you can get a signal you can use your phone on the nation plans cingular offers. Your just uninformed and uneducated about GSM.
mmdstech

Feb 26, 2004, 8:35 AM
Let's hear all about GSM technology, and not just end user features, but how it works.
Bink1

Mar 9, 2004, 10:38 PM
CDMA is also a US only system and even though its more pervasive than GSM it doesnt mean its better. Either way you can get with ATTWS Multi-band phones (uses TDMA and GSM) which in all look uglier than a warthog but offer awesome reception. Over all this is the golden rule if GSM works where you at then go with it. You have a buyers remorse period to check the service out before making a decision if it doesnt work then try CDMA or TDMA.

Bink1

Yay for Cingular, The evil ATTWS is dead. John Siglas has single handedly stripped every thing good from this company. Which post 2001 was great to both customers and employees now his answer is to take away concessions to customers and outsource labor to other countrys. Yay again hopefully he st...
(continues)
motopaulie

Mar 12, 2004, 5:28 PM
i hope that cingular transfers their knowledge to the dumbasses from AWS. i pray every night for that, ever since att was fortunately bought by Cingular.
Big Daddy

Mar 12, 2004, 8:22 PM
Your blind stupidity is earth-shattering.
canadianguy

Mar 12, 2004, 10:49 PM
Big Daddy said:
Your blind stupidity is earth-shattering.

lol thats some funny **** lol

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.