Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

The End of Apple Dominance of Smart Phones is at Hand

erikclarke

Oct 11, 2009, 11:36 AM
The iPhone 3GS is a brilliant device, almost magical in its ability to render graphics, toy with audio and jump from app to amazing app with such poise and grace that all other smart-phone developers must "kiss the ring" before exposing their next attempt at a serious contender. What those of us old enough to remember have learned from the past is that a single hardware manufacturer, with complete control over the creation and distribution of their product, no matter how brilliant cannot hope to maintain dominance over everyone else indefinitely. In this particular case, perhaps Apple's considerable advantage in development, support and a large user base would have overcome past models of innovative hardware releases, but they made a fatal e...
(continues)
Coil

Oct 12, 2009, 2:27 PM
There's other caveats but that one is a killer for any serious user or business customer.
GraGG

Oct 12, 2009, 5:10 PM
backgrounder
WernerCD

Jan 15, 2010, 4:53 PM
Backgrounder on a Jailbroken phone does get around the issue... but it doesn't change the underlying problem of an "over protective" company. I shouldn't have to jailbrake my phone to do what I want with it.

On the flip side, Google is going to have to tread VERY carefully lest the fall into the trap microsoft fell into: too many support requirements. This single biggest threat to Android domination is fragmentation.

Either Apple is going to change their tune and open up to more options (more than just one company's phone)... or Google is going to buckle down and create a better plan for supporting what will soon be 40+ phones (plus internet enabled microwaves and what not.)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.