Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 12 replies

GSM phones

NeumZ

Feb 9, 2004, 5:33 PM
do gsm phones work the same on all networks, or are some better tailered to a specific network?
Xerobridge

Feb 9, 2004, 5:46 PM
Some phones are multiband and will work with many different tower types, Motorola makes a quadband phone working on gsm tdma cdma, and some low analog channel, for the most part a gsm phone priced around 120$ or less is gsm specific, any multi band or world phone is quite a bit more, average 299$, I prefer the gsm network to tdma, It's true that the coverage isn't as broad as yet, and if you do have a world phone and are on a tdma or cdma some of your valued features won't work but the quality is far better in my opinion, and the network doesn't seem to get as cluttered.
mmdstech

Feb 9, 2004, 5:51 PM
There's a handset that works on CDMA,GSM,TDMA and analog? I don't think so.
Xerobridge

Feb 9, 2004, 5:54 PM
Give me a sec, I'll look I beleive it's a motorola world phone, I may be wrong give me a sec
Xerobridge

Feb 9, 2004, 6:13 PM
By tower type, I mearly meant compatibality of frequency, and what they'll respond to, 900mhz and up I think sprint works up to 1950, and gsm is up to 1800, I know some att tower aren't full compatable yet, or so I've been told, there isn't much reading on the matter, I looked for the "world phone, I guess I missread it , it's just gsm, But I could of sworn there was a multinet phone, ooh well no biggie, what service do you have, I use cingular it the best in our area, unfortunately..
mmdstech

Feb 9, 2004, 6:40 PM
Let's clear this up.

Cellular- The frequency allocation for mobile transmissions ranges from 824 to 849 MHz, and from 869 to 894 MHz for base station transmissions. There are 2 licenses available in each market. A and B.

PCS- PCS is allocated spectrum ranging from 1850-1910 MHz and 1930-1990 MHz. The Commission divided this 120 MHz of spectrum into six frequency blocks A through F. Blocks A, B, and C are 30 megahertz each and blocks D, E, and F are 10 megahertz each. There are 6 pcs licenses available in each market.

SMR- specialized mobile radio. 806-825 851-866, and 900 MHz service allocated in the 896-901 MHz and 935-940 MHz bands.

Sprint- CDMA 2000 1X( 1X is short for 1XRRT radio transmission technology). Sprint operates ...
(continues)
Myth

Feb 11, 2004, 6:17 PM
mmdstech said:
Let's clear this up.

One more--

Motorola V400.

Single Mode (GSM only)

Quad band (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
mmdstech

Feb 9, 2004, 5:52 PM
And what the hell is a " tower type"?
Rich Brome

Feb 10, 2004, 1:44 AM
Xerobridge said:
Some phones are multiband and will work with many different tower types, Motorola makes a quadband phone working on gsm tdma cdma, and some low analog channel, for the most part a gsm phone priced around 120$ or less is gsm specific, any multi band or world phone is quite a bit more, average 299$, ...

😕 No, no, and no...

You are confusing "bands" and "technologies". GSM is a technology. 1900 MHz is a band. GSM 1900 is a mode.

AT&T's "multi-band" term is a complete misnomer. What they call "multi-band" has nothing to do with bands at all. They use TDMA on both bands, and GSM on both bands. Their "multi-band" phones use the exact same two bands as all their other phones (GSM or TDMA)....
(continues)
mmdstech

Feb 9, 2004, 5:47 PM
specify please.
Xerobridge

Feb 9, 2004, 5:50 PM
what kind of specifics would you like 😉
Rich Brome

Feb 10, 2004, 1:32 AM
In theory, given any GSM phone and any GSM network, frequency is all that should matter.

There are four frequency bands: 800(850), 900, 1800, and 1900 MHz. 800 and 850 are simply two names for the same band. 800 and 1900 are U.S. frequencies, while Europe and Asia use 900 and 1800. Latin and South America are a mix of all four.

In the U.S., T-Mobile is all 1900, while AT&T and Cingular use both 800 and 1900.

If the frequencies match, "GSM is GSM" - for the most part.

There are exceptions. For example, some carriers use mostly Brand X gear for their base stations (towers), while others use mostly Brand Y gear. Carriers test and approve any phone they carry with their network. So if a given phone has a glitch with Brand Y towers, i...
(continues)
NeumZ

Feb 10, 2004, 4:23 PM
that was everything i wanted to know, thank you rich.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.