Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 9 replies

T-Mobile G1, GPS and Tethering question.

Brannon132

Mar 6, 2009, 2:23 PM
Hey guys I am planning on getting a phone that has web and email and getting the $25 unlimited plan on t-mobile.

I like the G1 and have a few questions.

First is can I tether it to a laptop so that use the Internet on the laptop?

Secondly is that the G1 has GPS but T-mobile charges an extra $10.00 a month that in my opinion is highway robbery!!! So is there a way to get GPS on the G1 without paying monthly?

Thanks so much for the info, all info good and bad would be greatly appreciated.

Brannon
TmobileEmp

Mar 6, 2009, 3:21 PM
No you cannot tether it to a laptop. GPS is included into your data package. You do not have to pay extra on top of that. So who ever told you that info you should discard anything they told you lol. Now email I do not like so much about the phone. Blackberrys are way better in my opinion. Battery life sucks, weight sucks, but the web browsing is awesome.
Brannon132

Mar 6, 2009, 7:04 PM
For email all i use is hotmail.com. Can I tether the blackberry to my laptop?

So you would take a blackberry over the G1 any day?

My other choice was to get an Iphone and hack it to make it work with t-mobile.

Thanks Brannon
TmobileEmp

Mar 6, 2009, 7:17 PM
I personally use a 3g iPhone and my gf uses my 2g iPhone on my employee accounts lol. I use my blackberry cuve as a work phone. Ok so it goes iphone> blackberry> g1. iPhone cannot tether either. Blackberry is the only one out of those 3 that has that capability. If you are gonna be doing a lot of email then blackberry all the way. For some reason I cannot get hotmail to link with my iPhone at all. So I started using gmail and it works awesome. So what are your biggest needs with a phone? Tether very important? email?

My opinion would be get an iPhone and use it. I have yet to find another phone I like better. I use to be the person with a new phone every month and I have been using an iPhone for 8 months straight. I only upgraded to the ...
(continues)
scott.ryan.miller

Mar 15, 2009, 6:13 PM
Blackberry is what you want if tethering is your biggest concern...but be aware of the data charges after you exceed 5gb as starts charging you $.25/mb and can get spendy. Secondly the Storm(vzw) or iPhone(T-mob/AT&T) beats the G1 hands down in my personal opinion...i work in the industry so work phone is Storm and love it, for my personal i tried out the G1 for 2 weeks and hated it...returned it and back to my iPhone(tmob). But to concur with the others if email is your biggest concern than yes the BB is definitly the way to go. Hope this gives ya a little confidence in one of the three phones.
crp62885

Mar 16, 2009, 1:17 PM
You can Tether a G1. its quite easy. As a T-Mobile employee, i know that and have done it!
TmobileEmp

Mar 16, 2009, 4:09 PM
Umm not sure how you did this. I have talked to all my co workers and none have not done it before. Only if you have hacked your software of your phone to make it do this. So share your secret please
TMobRep

Mar 16, 2009, 4:35 PM
as far as the tethering, yes, you need to root your phone 1st, then use one of Wi-Fi Tether Apps in the market.
GPS is already on the phone, you dont need anything additional to use this.
hope this helps
OfAMightDivine

Mar 15, 2009, 8:41 PM
Brannon132 said:
Secondly is that the G1 has GPS but T-mobile charges an extra $10.00 a month that in my opinion is highway robbery!!!

Go take a look at how much small GPS systems cost before you whine about $10.00 a month being high way robbery.
Tmo Slave

Mar 18, 2009, 12:51 PM
With the G1 yes you can tether the phone with your laptop using wifi. You do need a rooted(hacked, jailbroken, whatever) version of the software. Its not that hard to do. I've done it on my wife's, some of my coworkers and my phone. Takes all of 5 mins to do. And to the person who said you get charged for going over 5GB of data is wrong. Thats for the data card thats coming out. There is a softcap though if you abuse it they will slow your speeds down.

GPS is include with the data service if you use google maps. Tel Nav came out with turn by turn directions that is $10 a month or $80 if you pay for the whole year. Which is a really good deal considering you get constant updates, gas prices, and POIs.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.