Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 10 replies

Friend Mapping Phones?????

nikasmomma

Nov 19, 2008, 7:39 PM
Recently, I saw a TV commercial for a phone that has a real time friend mapping feature. For example, you have a group of friends programmed into your phone, then if you decide to see if your group is available to go to the movie, dinner or whatever, it will show you on a map where your friends are at that time. I wasn't focused on the advertisement at the time, so I can't remember what phone(s) has this feature. Does anyone here know?
beergirl

Nov 19, 2008, 10:03 PM
I used to use a service called Dodgeball to do something like that when I lived in Boston. Basically, you'd send a text to dodge on your phone saying what bar you were in and it would let all of your friends know as well as tell any friends of friends that you were within 10 blocks. It was pretty cool and always made for a great Boston party scene.

Then google bought it =[
ajlineman

Nov 19, 2008, 10:56 PM
AT&T nor Sprint are offering anything like this... Maybe VZW... :S
beergirl

Nov 20, 2008, 9:17 AM
this had nothing to do with the actual cell provider. Check out loopt.com. That may be similar to what you're looking for.
ajlineman

Nov 20, 2008, 4:06 PM
Sorry I misread it, I thought she was asking if there is a provider that offeres this... similir to GPS directions offered by most carriers.
beergirl

Nov 21, 2008, 10:25 AM
I think she was, but I was just making a suggestion because, to my knowledge, there is nothing of the sort. I chould be wrong, though.

Dodgeball was awesome. I was always in the know as to the good parties, bands, bars, etc. when I was in the city.
Rich Brome

Nov 24, 2008, 12:35 PM
That's a software function. TONS of phones have GPS with LBS now, so it's not so much about which phones, but rather which software, and then which phones are compatible with that software.

Loopt is one solution:

http://www.loopt.com/ »

Check that out to see if it's what you were thinking of, and check out their list of compatible phones.
Scytherend

Nov 28, 2008, 6:34 PM
Actually, the iPhone 3G is about to launch this feature. That is most likely the commercial that she saw.
ajlineman

Nov 28, 2008, 7:32 PM
It hasn't been approved by Apple yet. So no, there most likely wasn't a commercial of it.
If it does launch I hope it will be through the APP store and not something that AT&T has to provision... that would mean more uptrainings....
SKullKapa

Dec 12, 2008, 2:01 PM
It's a app and its out already.
ajlineman

Dec 15, 2008, 9:18 PM
SKullKapa said:
It's a app and its out already.

Sweet!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.