Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 14 replies

I was wondering...

JesusSaves

Oct 30, 2008, 7:57 AM
I see alot of sites that do the free games, ringers, wallpaper, etc. and I was wondering, how do they do it? How can they afford to create all this and NOT charge for it? Or is there some hidden charge I am not seeing?
Wireless Consultant

Oct 30, 2008, 12:37 PM
They use pay per click advertisment on the site.
If you click on some ads or links they get paid for it.
JesusSaves

Oct 30, 2008, 1:24 PM
Even if we do not buy anything on the site we click into?
KingTiger

Nov 3, 2008, 3:28 PM
Yup.
JesusSaves

Nov 3, 2008, 7:01 PM
If I was to start clicking on everything. Good, wondered how I could help out...short of actually giving anybody any money that is. 🙂
Rich Brome

Nov 4, 2008, 10:16 AM
No, actually that can hurt us. Google and other ad services actively look for "click fraud". Clicking just to click is something they can detect, catch and filter out. If it happens too much, we can be penalized.

If you have genuine interest in an ad, of course please don't hesitate to click. Ads don't bite. 😉 That is how we pay the bills.

But please don't do something you wouldn't normally do. Artificial clicks don't help.

We appreciate the thought, though! 🙂
JesusSaves

Nov 4, 2008, 10:51 AM
no problem everytime I went to click on something it would not let me get to the other website anyways. Something about doing it at work. 🤣
Menno

Nov 4, 2008, 7:20 PM
You should tell my company to unblcok the ads so I can click on them. There is a lot of stuff I've been interested in, but can't get to.

So my question is, if I click on something that interests me and my proxy blocks it, do you get any credit, or no? I know google looks at clicks to decide what ads to place as well. So that is why I was asking.
Rich Brome

Nov 4, 2008, 7:35 PM
If you can see the ad, then I suspect the click registers, although I'm not certain.
ajlineman

Nov 13, 2008, 9:34 PM
I'd be careful. I get alot of calls from people who put their number on "ad sites" to get a ring tone for free and although that first ring tone might not cost them anything per sey, the companies often enroll them in subscriptions to provide a monthly service they don't often want. Thousands of dollars are charged to customer of all wireless carriers bills daily for these "3rd party subscriptions". If you see yourself involved in these just contact the customer service dept of your wireless carrier and they can remove the subscription for future occurances.
OfAMightDivine

Nov 14, 2008, 1:22 PM
You can just READ what you're doing BEFORE you just give your number all over the internet.
ajlineman

Nov 18, 2008, 10:14 PM
Well not everybody is as smart as YOU Divine...

Plus, think about it man, with all the pop ups and stuff that alot of these people get, they don't take the time to read all T&C.

Which is what the 3rd party content providers are banking on.
OfAMightDivine

Nov 18, 2008, 11:05 PM
So it's the companies fault that the customer did not read the information that was made clear and available to them?
ajlineman

Nov 18, 2008, 11:29 PM
Of course its not the companies fault. It's the customer's fault for not reading it. I just just trying to justify WHY they weren't reading it... 😁
attverizonslave

Nov 14, 2008, 9:41 PM
its not free. you have to subscribe for usually 9.99 a month in order to download the "free" ringtone

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.