Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 11 replies

Improving the power of handportable phones

eddie

Jan 28, 2004, 11:43 AM
Hello everyone
I am asking for eveyone's oppinion on the product called the Smoothtalker. I started working for the company 2 weeks ago and I am interedted on what people think of the product. The idea is boosting a handportable's power to 3 watts of power.

For anybody that would like to talk about the product with me my number is 1-877-726-3444 and my email at work is edavis@smoothtalker.com I am including an article that was written on the Smoothtalker.I admit it. I’m a cell phone addict. As a wildlife photographer, outdoor writer, and cinematographer, my office is my phone. Add on the fact that I have a wife and three daughters and it becomes very important to me to have a good phone service. Last year I decided to spend several m...
(continues)
mmdstech2

Jan 28, 2004, 5:13 PM
Is this is a classifieds section? Stick smoothtalker up your ass! It would probably fit.
eddie

Jan 28, 2004, 5:32 PM
I can not stick smoothtalker up my ass because that is were your head is. If you can read english, I was asking people for their oppinion on the product. Just because you do not understand this you do not have to be disrespectful.
mmdstech2

Jan 28, 2004, 7:59 PM
How much is it?
MANIAC

Jan 29, 2004, 7:51 AM
I have information about the product... We sell and install alot of hard mount hands free kits and cellular signal boosters... We tried the SmoothTalker product and found that it is of lesser quality than other signal boosters on the market. Intelligain and Motorola being two of the more responsible pieces of RF amplification equipment. The SmoothTalker product is not only built with lesser quality but is also built with a proprietary RF connector for input/output. This just adds insult to injury. As far as Joe Consumer goes he would use it and it would work... As far as our installation facility is concerned the product is wholesale priced the same as a better quality Intelligain amp and the Intelligain piece uses standard connectors so tha...
(continues)
eddie

Jan 30, 2004, 10:39 AM
Information for Maniac:
Thank you for your response. If you had done some research, you would not have spent your time on this response. Smoothtalker provides 3 watts Tx(transmit) output with CDMA phones(the only ones with a max output of approx 200mah) and the BST 800 FCC type certificate clearly states this information. You can look at this certificate on the FCC website under certificate number OW5BST800.

Motorola does not make, market or distribute a vehicle booster for use with any digital handsets.There was a clear-out Motorola being sold by some cellular accessory distributors, that was know as a line loss compensator. Which is not on the market any longer. Even though this device is not a current Motorola part, it was never inten...
(continues)
MANIAC

Jan 31, 2004, 7:53 AM
Very interesting... I will have to bring in one of your CDMA amplifiers and run it through my Bird Watt Meter... That is our easiest most effective test to prove or disprove you Tx Pwr Output. Now I have also noticed that you have not mentioned the front end characteristics of your product... What is the down-link property for your SmoothTalker(s)? For if we do not enhance the capture capability of the transceiver the extra power output is for naught. Additionally, I use to sell your product... In the real world field tests... with out customers using your product it was sub-standard. These customers have had signal amplifiers before... They have a basis of comparison... Unlike someone who has only used the one product. It did not bring in s...
(continues)
MarkF

Jan 28, 2004, 8:23 PM
The prices are fair but the $15.00 shipping charge is a killer especially if your only buying a $9 adapter.

As far as the concept, what you have advertised is not groundbreaking and have been available for a long time from other vendors. I did miss any part that the amps offered are FCC Type accepted. Can you post the FCC ID# off of one of the amps (or make it part of the website) so anyone looking to purchase one in the states can be sure that they are buying something tested by the FCC.
eddie

Jan 30, 2004, 9:17 AM
Thank you for your response MarkF. I understand that paying $15.00 shipping on an item that only costs $9.95 is hard, but we would be losing money if we did not charge a shipping fee on anything under $300.00.

For the time being here is the FCC ID# off of one of the amps OWSBST800. We are trying to put it on the web site.

Thank you once again for your input, it helps me knowing what the public thinks about the Smoothtalker.
PupaScoopa

Jan 31, 2004, 7:12 PM
I have seen a few of these on the market as well. From my experience in CDMA, if the amplifier glitches for any reason and somehow raises its transmit power (when in closed loop power, the phone is at a low level in a call)... this could cause severe interference and service issues on possibly multiple cell cites effecting hundreds or thousands of customers. Who takes the responsibility if this happens?

As I understand it, in order for a customer to rebroadcast a cellular signal (from an incoming source through an amplifier to a repeater antenna); they must obtain an FCC license to do so. If someone were to use your product as an in-building coverage solution, they must be made aware of this.
mmdstech2

Jan 31, 2004, 8:18 PM
You do not need a FCC license to use a amplifer syatem. It's not a broadcast. Television and radio is a broadcast.
MarkF

Feb 1, 2004, 6:53 AM
PupaScoopa said:
As I understand it, in order for a customer to rebroadcast a cellular signal (from an incoming source through an amplifier to a repeater antenna); they must obtain an FCC license to do so. If someone were to use your product as an in-building coverage solution, they must be made aware of this.

Don't confuse a wired amplifier with a Bi-Directional Amplifier. This is not a BDA and doesn't require a license because it is wired directly to the phone and not "broadcasting" .

A BDA is a totally different design which this is not.

Mark

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.