Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

Frequency questions...

AtillaThePun

Nov 1, 2003, 10:11 AM
As I understand it 800/850 are really the same band in the US (or is it all of North America?), and that this band is currently AMPS only but is switching over to GSM.

900 GSM and 1800 GSM are what the rest of the world uses.

And 1800 is what the US (N.A.?) has been using for digital mobile service.

Is all of the above correct, and if not will someone please enlighten me?
Thanks in advance!

AtP
MarkF

Nov 1, 2003, 3:24 PM
I inserted the answers in between your questions.

AtillaThePun said:
>As I understand it 800/850 are really the >same band in the US (or is it all of North >America?), and that this band is currently >AMPS only but is switching over to GSM.

806-821/851-866 band is shared among NEXTEL/SoutherLinc/Public Safety and other general category users in the US. The TX and RX freqs are 45 MHz apart.

821-832/866-869 band is strictly for Public Safety and the TX and RX freqs are seperated by 45 MHz.

The 800MHz cellular blocks are the following:
824-849 MHz
869-894 MHz

>900 GSM and 1800 GSM are what the rest of the >world uses.

>And 1800 is what the US (N.A.?) has been >using for digital mobile service.

US is
(continues)
Rich Brome

Nov 1, 2003, 4:36 PM
AtillaThePun said:
As I understand it 800/850 are really the same band in the US (or is it all of North America?), and that this band is currently AMPS only but is switching over to GSM.

Yes and no.

800 = 850 = cellular, and you'll find it mostly in North America, but also in South America and several other places around the world.

That band was originally used only for AMPS (analog), but then digital (CDMA and TDMA) were also deployed in that same band, and just recently GSM was added to the mix as well.

Then there is Nextel's spectrum, which is also sometimes called 800, but it's actually a different band right next to the usual 800 cellular.

900 GSM and 1800 GSM are what the rest
(continues)
AtillaThePun

Nov 7, 2003, 12:11 AM
Rich Brome said:
AtillaThePun said:
And 1800 is what the US (N.A.?) has been using for digital mobile service.

No. Digital (CDMA, TDMA, and GSM) is used both in the 800 (850) and 1900 (PCS) bands. There is no 1800 in North America.

1900 (PCS) was created around the same time digital was taking off, and all three digital techs (GSM, CDMA, and TDMA) were quickly deployed in it. AMPS (analog) is the only technology not deployed in 1900.

Thanks for the good info. I meant 1900 in NA, I just fat fingered it.
🤭

I did not know that technology other than GSM was used in the rest of the world. And dare I even ask what Korea is doing?
Rich Brome

Nov 7, 2003, 1:45 AM
Actually, Korea is using the same CDMA standards we're using here, such as 1xRTT and 1xEV-DO (recently deployed in a couple cities by Verizon Wireless).

But the frequencies are somewhat different. In the PCS band (1900) it's different enough to be totally incompatible. In the cellular band(800/850) however, it mostly overlaps, and is actually compatible. Verizon even has a roaming agreement with one of the Korean CDMA carriers.

But activating a Korean phone on Verizon is tricky, and even if you can find a Korean cellular phone with English menus, none of the cool features (Get It Now, MMS, Mobile Web) will work - not even caller-ID.

As for other parts of the world: Like I said, Australia, India, and most of the Americas have a mix o...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.