Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

T-MOBILE CLAIMS??

SKYLER

Jan 7, 2004, 5:01 PM
I HAVE HEARD A LOT OF MUMBO JUMBO FROM T-MOBILE AGENT REPS THAT THEY (T-MOBILE) CAN HOOK TO ANY AT&T OR CINGULAR TOWER FOR SERVICE WHEN THEY ARE NOT IN THERE ORIGINAL T-MOBILE FOOTPRINT. DOES THIS HOLD ANY WATER???
mmdstech2

Jan 7, 2004, 6:45 PM
Yes. Ever heard of roaming? The 3 carriers you mentioned are GSM carriers. These carriers sign roaming agreements with each other to provide there customers a bigger footprint. I have no specifics on the extent of those agreements however.
95mike

Jan 7, 2004, 6:47 PM
Yes. Cingular/ATT/Tmobile did sign an agreement to share towers. I know Cingular can at least use ATT, but don't have first hand confirmation on Tmobile towers.
mmdstech2

Jan 7, 2004, 7:00 PM
95mike. What do you mean by sharing towers? Roaming agreements allow say your T-mobile phone to operate on a Cingular bts. Everything making that call go through is provided by Cingular. Most towers are not owned by carriers, but by national tower companies such as
1. American Tower
2. Spectrasite
3. Crown Castle
4. Pinnacle
5. AAT communications

Not trying to be a smartass, just thought I would pass along.
95mike

Jan 8, 2004, 3:45 PM
What I meant by "sharing towers" is customers get to use other companies' signal with no roaming charges. 😉 I'm not really sure if there are any lay-persons that would be on this board, but if there are I am catering to them.

also, Cingular's "roaming agreements" on the west coast are only good from Washington. California users still can't use ATT or Tmobile without fees as far as I know.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.