Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

Bringing a phone from Japan to the US

Asher3

Jul 8, 2007, 12:44 PM
I live in the US and really want a phone from Japan, but nothing I have researched is even remotely new or conclusive.

I have US Cellular right now which is a CDMA carrier, but I am willing to switch over to AT&T for GSM if I must, but my question: is this even possible to do? Can I bring a phone from Japan and put it to a service here in the US?

Thanks
Ray

Jul 8, 2007, 3:10 PM
The only GSM wireless devices that will work in the US are ones that have at the minimum of 850 and/or 1900 MHz GSM hardware. The best GSM handsets to use are the quad band since these handsets will work pretty much on any of the standard GSM bands. Regardless of dual band(850/1900 MHz GSM) or quad band(850/900/1800/1900 MHz GSM), the voice services should work without any issues but the data side would have to be configured for the particular GSM carrier you wish to use.
sangyup81

Jul 9, 2007, 9:41 AM
Japanese Phones will not work in the USA at all. They use standards which are not in use here.
raika2

Jul 11, 2007, 1:28 AM
I also lived in the US and was using Tmobile while I was bringing phones from abroad. As long as they are unlocked and the bandwith is valid for US then it should be alright. Some times the choices of phones that network provider have are quite dull compared to those that one might find abroad. My opinion, bring your phone from Japan and use it with your network in US. It's much better, plus it may be very unique from what others would be using! 😛

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.