Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 9 replies

Motorola iDEN

mmdstech

Jan 5, 2004, 8:03 PM
I have not seen many posts on Nextel's iDEN technology. Thought it would be a good discussion. I have a good grasp of this network used by Nextel. If there are any questions or comments about Nextel, or iDEN, post them here. Thanks
95mike

Jan 5, 2004, 8:16 PM
I have a question: Why does every customer who has Nextel think the walkie talkie will work from anywhere? 🙄
mmdstech

Jan 5, 2004, 8:32 PM
I think it's because when they "walkie talkie" people tend to think about those frs and gmrs radios that use Simplex operation. Also the commercials say "nationwide walkie talkie" which is true, but not that the phone works everywhere.
MANIAC

Jan 6, 2004, 7:32 AM
There are new phones, on the falcon platform, that will have "off network" two-way functionality... They are launching this year...i315; i325; i335... They're calling it "Moto Talk".

I guess that necessity is the mother of invention.

In any event I think the top message was asking about iDEN as a technology... How it works... I know that it was a technology designed by Motorola for Fleet Call and that it is an extrapolation of GSM technology... I know the radio in my car goes ape **** when I make or receive calls... That much I know.

I have seen Verizons PTT and Sprints PTT put to the test by our local sheriffs department and the VOIP technology is not as reliable as Nextel Direct Connect... Put aside latency issues, low signal ar...
(continues)
mmdstech

Jan 6, 2004, 9:28 AM
Sometime around Q2 2004, Nextel will upgrade there 2.5g iDEN network to wiDEN. This will allow 4-5 times faster data transfer. MMS here we come!!
verges

Jan 6, 2004, 1:37 PM
mmdstech - actually I was interested in this very topic. I'm familiar with CDMA, TDMA, GSM (all at the high level), but not familiar with iDen. (other than I believe it's an off shoot of ESMR). My question is - what's the fundamental network difference that allows iDen to support DirectConnect while non-iDen operators have to mimic it using other technologies (like VoIP)?
mmdstech2

Jan 7, 2004, 6:40 PM
There is no one network element that will allow dispatch the way iDEN does. There is numerous elements at the MSO and the EBTS that allow dispatch. iDEN was built around dispatch, CDMA and GSM was not. This is the main difference.
NeumZ

Jan 6, 2004, 2:28 PM
i know Iden uses 800mhz, is this the regular cellular A and B band? or is it different? and will they ever use 1900mhz (or are they using it now?)
MarkF

Jan 6, 2004, 4:13 PM
NeumZ said:
i know Iden uses 800mhz, is this the regular cellular A and B band? or is it different? and will they ever use 1900mhz (or are they using it now?)

First off iDEN is not band specific, it can be deployed pretty much anywhere in the band that Motorola manufactures equipment for, but to date its specifically 800 MHz.

NEXTEL/SouthernLink (iDEN) uses the 806 to 821 MHz portion of the band which is neither the A or B cellular band.

NEXTEL is working on getting 1.9 GHz but is not there yet. They did win frequencies in 700 and 900 MHz thru the FCC auction process but has yet to build any real infrastructure to take advantage of the frequencies.
mmdstech

Jan 6, 2004, 5:26 PM
Nextel has 900MHz infrastructure in place processing calls right now. However these EBTS sites with 900MHZ are few and far between. The band Nextel operates in is call specialized mobile radio. (SMR) This spectrum has been traditionally used by two-way radios. The frequency's nextel uses are as follows. 806-821 uplink( mobile to base
851-866 downlink ( base to mobile). The channels have a bandwidth of 25khz.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.