Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 5 replies

Car Mopunted Antennas

LongShot

Dec 22, 2003, 8:59 PM
I am looking for some insight into the usefulness of a mounted antenna in my vehicle. I travel often in remote areas of Nebraska where cell service is almost nonexistent. I am usually able to detect a signal with my V60, but I usually cannot make or maintain a call.

I am looking into the possibility of mounting an antenna in my truck. I am looking for any thoughts that you might have about the alternatives available.

Thanks
nicko

Dec 22, 2003, 11:50 PM
whatever u do don't buy 1 of those magnetic stickers for your cell phone. They're suppose to make the signal stronger. Doesn't work!!No matter what they tell you it don't work
PupaScoopa

Dec 27, 2003, 4:30 PM
Wilson Electronics sells adaptors for most phones as well as magnet mount antennas. Tessco.com sells just about any antenna under the sun.

The best vehicle antenna would be a roof mount. That involves drilling a 3/4" hole in your roof (not for the faint of heart). The next best thing would be a magnet mount then a glass mount. Assuming all of them have a full wave whip for a 3db gain, not a 1/4 wave short whip which is omnidirectional.
mmdstech2

Dec 28, 2003, 1:10 AM
If you have a newer vehicle, don't do a NMO 3/4 mount in your roof. Get a glass mount antenna. If you have a tri mode phone that utilizes 800 and 1800 mhz bands, get a dual band antenna. These antennas usually are about 12 inches high and have a closed coil at the top, and a open coil in the middle. If you use only the 800 or the pcs band, get that antenna . Post what carrier you have, and what v60 model you use, and I will tell you what antenna to get.
LongShot

Jan 18, 2004, 5:00 PM
Sorry that I haven't responded lately, but I have been lost for a while in the nowhere of Western Nebraska. I have the standard V60c on the Verizon network. So any suggestion about the antenna situation would be appreciated.

Also considering the difficulty involved with communicating from this area I am considering getting an Audivox (uncertain which model) when I become eligible for my equipment upgrade in April. If you have any suggestions for external antennas for these phones I would appreciate it.

Thanks
mmdstech2

Jan 18, 2004, 7:04 PM
You should get a dual band ( cellular and pcs) antenna. If you use one vehicle, than get a glass mount. If you switch back from one car to the next, get a magnet mount. Get a antenna with 3db of gain in both bands. If you go with a magnet mount, place the antenna in the middle of the roof, the antenna uses the roof as a ground plane.

http://www.wilsonelectronics.com/ »

http://www.cellularaccessory.com/magmagmounmo.html »

http://www.cellularaccessory.com/apdm928tm.html »

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.