Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 5 replies

Some GSM "Security" questions...

CRCinOklnd

Apr 2, 2007, 2:46 AM
I'm 98% sure I'll be switching from Verizon over to T-Mobile in June when my contract ends with VZW. I plan to get my T-Mobile phone the end of April, beginning of May. But before I jump in I had a couple of "GSM" questions.

Is GSM as secure as CDMA? From what I understand, CDMA has the "spread spectrum" technology which scrambles the signal somewhat so it's harder to tap into from the outside. Does GSM have something similar or the same level of protection? The reason I ask is that I don't have a land-line, so if I call my bank or credit-card companies, I just want to be sure someone can't tap into my line.

Also, what about "911" calls? I know with VZW if I call 911, the emergency people can track you down with GPS. Does GSM or T-Mobi...
(continues)
skyjet15

Apr 2, 2007, 11:35 AM
hey the way I understand it, the law denotes that in order to maintain privacy you have to "have a reasonable expectation of privacy" (paraphrased). Therefore, I know for sure that even cordless phones are not considered a reasonable expectation of privacy. If you're really worried about this, stick to a landline for sensitive information as neither cell technology can guarantee you the same level of security at least by legal standards.
CRCinOklnd

Apr 2, 2007, 12:41 PM
Thanks Skyjet. No, I'm not too worried or concerned about it...it was just something in the back of my mind I was wondering about. I will still get the T-Mobile phone and use "cellular only" anyhow. I've just never used a GSM phone before...always been with Verizon.

What brought it up too is that I was hit with identity theft about 3 years ago. I'm sure what happened was due to things I sent over the internet when I was applying for a mortgage, and not cellular. Just being a little cautious I guess! 🙂

Thanks again!
Lapdog

Apr 2, 2007, 1:30 PM
GSM & CDMA and iDen are sufficiently encrypted that your communication is secure.

I wouldn't worry about it. Now, as for your cordless home phone, that's a different story.
crossedsignals

Apr 2, 2007, 5:41 PM
Certain version of the GSM encryption algorithm have been hacked in the past: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A5/1. Most alleged hacks rely on perfect conditions which are almost unobtainable in the real world and therefore unlikely to happen. There are those that claim to have ability to compromise even the newest algorithms http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/users/wwwb/cgi-b in/tr-info.cgi?2006/CS/CS-2006-07

Much of CDMA's superiority in the area of security focuses on it's code-based multiplexing. I've not heard of anyone claiming to have been able to hack the CDMA interface. Governments do claim the ability to wiretap CDMA, but this likely is not by 'sniffing' the over-the-air portions of the phone call (more likely tapping off the PSTN) htt...
(continues)
ABLINDKID

Apr 7, 2007, 9:54 PM
just to clarify the 911 question, the fcc regulated that all cell phones now adays are equipped with 911 capibility just for the simple fact that 911 could locate you, all carriers have been pusing away from the analog towers because of this, verizon got rid of just about all their anolog towers and other carriers are going to be doing the same thing because of regulations set down by the fcc

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.