Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 14 replies

CDMA-VS-GSM Technology Advantages?

mobilemover

Jan 23, 2007, 11:35 AM
I know, I know, this is probably the most over asked questions in the biz, BUT I still am unsure! I have done research, and this is basically what I have found:

CDMA: Spread spectrum, more customers can use it, shorter battery life for phones, better in rural flat areas. Best in USA? EV-DO

GSM: Dedicated channel per user, less data functions, better battery life for phones, older technology? World roaming, WCDMA?

BUT my question is which technology emits LESS radiation from towers and mobile devices? Which technology is cheaper to build, and does either one last longer? I live in a rural town, so I HAVE to use CDMA because GSM carriers don't even get one bar at my house.

I also hear Qualcomm is in charge of CDMA. Is this a monopo...
(continues)
FRANoKia

Jan 23, 2007, 12:35 PM
EVERYTHING causes cancer so while your on this planet you might as well enjoy the things you like and not spend time fretting over what company, Verizon or Cingular, will cause you the most cancer. It's like the smoker who thinks he is doing his lungs justice by smoking "light" cigarettes!
mobilemover

Jan 23, 2007, 2:04 PM
I also mean which technology, if any imposes less on the enviroment. Not just which one causes cancer. I understand what you mean about the smokers, but I am also concerned about affecting other things, like pacemakers and such. If I did not care about things like this, I would go with gsm for the cooler phones, but I am not only interested in the "trendiest" mobile out there.
Jon_Doh

Jan 24, 2007, 10:21 AM
There is no difference in the two technologies regarding one being better on the environment than the other just as neither is tehnologically superior to the other. Both technologies accomplish the same thing, but just go about it differently. Most CDMA and GSM phones operate at 1900 MHZ on the microwave frequency, others at 800 MHZ. Although their at the same frequency, how they use that bandwith differs. CDMA pings towers to establish connectivity. As more users crowd up capacity on the tower CDMA pulls the signal range back to keep too many people from getting on at one time. GSM assigns a slice of time to each user. Its phones don't ping the towers, which is why battery life is greater on GSM phones. As the tower gets crowded the...
(continues)
wombough

Jan 24, 2007, 4:14 PM
It is primarily utilized in the U.S. and South Korea. GSM is European and used throughout the world.

It is in over 36 countries and expanding rapidly. Hong Kong, India, Thailand to name a few more!
MX2

Feb 16, 2007, 9:23 PM
Jon_Doh said:
There is no difference in the two technologies regarding one being better on the environment than the other just as neither is tehnologically superior to the other. Both technologies accomplish the same thing, but just go about it differently. Most CDMA and GSM phones operate at 1900 MHZ on the microwave frequency, others at 800 MHZ. Although their at the same frequency, how they use that bandwith differs. CDMA pings towers to establish connectivity. As more users crowd up capacity on the tower CDMA pulls the signal range back to keep too many people from getting on at one time. GSM assigns a slice of time to each user. Its phones don't ping the towers, which is why battery life is greater on GSM phon
(continues)
jrfdsf

Feb 17, 2007, 10:03 AM
🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂
dca

Jan 24, 2007, 10:36 AM
ALL phones that go on the market in the US pass a gov inspection and must not exceed whatever the max wattage for a mobile device is set at...

It's impossible to speculate which technology would last longer because of advancements in data technology... GSM going to GPRS to EDGE to HSDPA or the other one that starts with a 'U' & WCDMA, on and on, etc.

CDMA is cheaper to deploy in a sense because less towers are needed for spacial spectrum coverage.

License fees are paid to Qualcomm for each chipset installed on CDMA mobile phones.

Personally, for your sake, I think it's more hazardous to be driving and talking on your phone than physically putting it to your ear...

It's the RF that kills... Everything causes cancer as t...
(continues)
crackberry

Jan 24, 2007, 12:35 PM
mobilemover said:
I know, I know, this is probably the most over asked questions in the biz, BUT I still am unsure! I have done research, and this is basically what I have found:

CDMA: Spread spectrum, more customers can use it, shorter battery life for phones, better in rural flat areas. Best in USA? EV-DO

GSM: Dedicated channel per user, less data functions, better battery life for phones, older technology? World roaming, WCDMA?

BUT my question is which technology emits LESS radiation from towers and mobile devices? Which technology is cheaper to build, and does either one last longer? I live in a rural town, so I HAVE to use CDMA because GSM carriers don't even get one bar at my house.

I also hear Qualcomm
(continues)
macuser09

Feb 17, 2007, 9:32 AM
umts is using a flavor of the cdma air interface. The only thing left of you beloved GSM is the GSM core.
macuser09

Feb 17, 2007, 9:33 AM
In the US GSM sucks not because of the tech but because of the amount of area covered. CDMA has the vast majority of the US covered.
jrfdsf

Feb 17, 2007, 10:01 AM
GSM coverage is getting better. Out west is where most of the lacking in coverage exists. But hey, that's true with all of 'em!
apw100

Feb 19, 2007, 4:35 PM
Environmentally, there will be no permanent effect . In other words, its not like the tower's emissions are irradiating the environment. If they were to be turned off, their effect on the environment would cease. Even while they are operating, their effect is probably fairly minimal. The thing that I would worry most about is your phone. The radiation from the phone is much more likely to cause problems than that coming from the towers. As to whether it can cause cancer or other problems, the jurry is still out. Personally, I cant imagine that having a radiation emitting device next to your brain all day for years on end could be good for you.
mobilemover

Mar 9, 2007, 11:59 AM
Thanks apw100- that makes sense. I appreciate it because I had a true concern of the effects from cell phone towers on the enviroment.
jmac32here

Mar 9, 2007, 8:02 PM
Good point there...prolly where you can say don't talk too much on the phone or something like that.

And as to seeing that the towers transmit microwave frequencies, the phones must then also receive and transmit on those frequencies. So in moderation, its not that bad...but if you talk all the time..landline phones are safer... (i think??)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.