Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 6 replies

All Digital vs. Tri-Mode

apezz

Sep 1, 2004, 7:31 PM
How critical do you think is it to have a Tri-Mode phone these days. I have always used Tri-Mode phones and haven’t had many reception problems. I am thinking about getting a new phone that is all digital (Samsung SCH-A670) using Verizon service.
sammy2

Sep 1, 2004, 9:16 PM
do a search in all forums and you will d many postings on this issue. keyword (digital, analog, tri-mode)
MANIAC

Sep 4, 2004, 8:29 AM
apezz, If you have used a Verizon Tri-Mode phone in the past you might have noticed how often your tri-mode went analog... If, in your travels, the phone has gone analog 10, 20, 30, 40, 50% of the time then you need to evaluate that. If your phone RARELY went analog and all digital handset might make sense.

Please remember that Verizon hasn't put up a new analog site in several years. Their digital network will eclipse the analog coverage at some point.

The Verizon dual mode dual band (AKA tri-mode) phones are not long for the world. The all digital networks that were built from the ground up, that Verizon and many other legacy carriers aspires to be, are the way of the future. For better or for worse.

It is what it is.
sammy2

Sep 4, 2004, 6:28 PM
I generally agree on this issue with Maniac. The future will be all digital but we are not there yet in all areas and there are many areas in my travels that still are predominantly analog. You must determine this for yourself.

Please understand that if you have a tri-mode phone you can take advantage of both. If digital is available it will use digital but if it is not available than it will switch to analog.

At this point the only down side of having a tri-mode is fewer choices of phones.

I also want to use my phone for emergencies and I therefore want all options available to me.
baybegyrl

Sep 6, 2004, 1:43 AM
also you got to know that tri mode phones are going to be the thing of the past more and more phones coming out for verizon is going to be digital they are great phone if your in rural area's you may have problem specially if the population is low...the samsung a670 is an awersome phone though.....
tinkerbell30

Sep 5, 2004, 1:56 PM
I have to agree here as well....I have VZW and originally had a tri-mode phone (v60i). But in all the time I used it across the country, I never had the phone switch over to analog...either I didn't have reception (dead spots) or it remained on digital.

Recently, I switched over to an all digital phone (a670). I was worried about the difference, but I haven't noticed any differences in reception and the voice clarity is crystal clear...much more so than the tri-mode phone...

So, like Maniac said, if you don't need the analog, that could be a major consideration for you...but if you've ever needed it and there's a chance you need it again, then stick with the tri-mode.
BowWowWow

Sep 7, 2004, 12:18 PM
For some folks, a trimode phone is critical (out in the boonies, people that work in isolated areas). My business customers, especially the oilfield types, pretty much do trimodes exclusively. Executives, usually a digital-only will do the trick, especially if they need a PDA or Blackberry - no analog service with those devices.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.