Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 8 replies

Cingular GSM Help

bealj550

Aug 21, 2004, 9:57 PM
I have a LG L1200 w/ Cingular. I have the GSM Nation plan. About five days ago I went to school about 50 miles from my home calling area. About 20 miles before my school, my phone went to Cingular Extended. It worked great no problems. This morning I woke up and there was no Cingular or Cingular Extended on my phone. In the corner where is used to have the G w/ the signal bars, there is now a T w/ signal bars. If I try to call someone, the phone beeps at me saying "Emergency Only." I called CS and they had me turning the phone off, wipe off the Sim card. None of this worked. They told me they show the area covered and should work. I drove the 20 miles or so until it switched over, which it did, but then on my way back it went blank again. Do...
(continues)
disturbed1

Aug 22, 2004, 2:57 PM
hmmm....two things come to mind.

A.) Your school is in an area, that despite being on the map, isn't covered. The "emergency only" thing makes me think of AMPS signals pretty much being used for emergency calls now that digital is the prvailing tech. or

B.) You're positive that your account is marked up as a GSM Nation? I know that's what you purchased, but it is possible, however unlikely, that the rep actually gave you a region plan. That might explain why you can't get service outside of your home area.

there could also be some interference in the area prohibiting the signal from reaching the tower. Are there any powerful radio stations (stuff you can get clear into the next area code) or military bases nearby?

That's...
(continues)
adlman

Aug 25, 2004, 11:11 AM
Actually your problem with your LG phone is not uncommon. LG phones are currently experiencing problems in 850 and 1900mhz GSM markets reading "Emergency Only" or "SOS ONLY". It is a problem with the programing on the phone and I do suggest you go through the proper warranty procedures to try and remedy this problem.

These models are not GAIT-phones and therefore do not have AMPS/analog capabilities. The rate-plan you are on will not determine whether or not you have coverage in a particular area. It will, however, affect how much you do pay for making or receiving a call within a particular area (roaming charges).
speck

Aug 26, 2004, 9:09 PM
LG Phones have not had RF issues... They have had issues w/ the phone itself... There may be a malfunction... But I hate everyone knocking on the LG's... They are not bad phones and were not made bad by the manufacturer... I have come across many LG's working fine not a problem... A couple of malfunctions and they write off the whole manufacturer... Motorola has a total of 3 recalls due to malfunctions and RF issues and people are still holding them in high regards...
CainMarko

Aug 29, 2004, 4:24 PM
Well, not to "knock" on LG's but Cingular replaced the g4010 and g4050 after only a few months on the market because of the "sos" "emergency only" issue. LG put out these 2 other phones as "better" but they have had similar issues already, but not nearly to the extent of the 4010 and 4050. It's funny, because the test phones were tested for over 400 hours(like all Cingular phones), but the phones that were shipped were not as reliable. Motorola pulled that nonsense with the t720 and the c331g. Motorola gave us the Specially designed V400 as a way of saying "oops". It's also interesting to note that Nokia has the best track record with Cingular.
speck

Aug 26, 2004, 9:06 PM
Your rate plan does not effect your service... nation just means you don't get charged roaming... region means you do get charged roaming... does not mean your phone won't work... And for your problem...

What disturbed said was right... you might be at a ridiculously low signal that only e-calls will work on the AMPS frequency,...

Second you may just be having a bad handover in between the two towers when you travel.. Try to turn phone off for 15 sec then turn back on... if not...

Take the battery out of the phone while it is on... wait 30 sec then put it back together turn it back on... If still having trouble... Seriously... call tech... on another phone besides the cell phone.
Myth

Aug 27, 2004, 10:19 AM
No AMPS capability from Cingular GSM phones.

I have seen the "emergency calls only" message when the tower is not recognizing the validity of the phone. It sounds to me like you are using a non-Cingular tower (thus the "Extend") and that it doesn't think you have an active account that it should care about.

Resetting SIM card sounds reasonable (but it didn't work). Rebooting the phone sounds reasonable (but it didn't work),

I also recommend the taking-out-battery-while-phone-is-on thing -- havew had that recommended by after-hours tech support (the tech support I trust most).

You can also try having Customer Care resend the roaming database and/or resending the activation to the switch, which would in turn proagate it to our r...
(continues)
speck

Aug 27, 2004, 8:17 PM
Thing about having tech send the latest d/l... it requires that you be on a Cingular network... It is not guaranteed you will recv the latest VLR if Cingular Extend or Roam...
CainMarko

Aug 25, 2004, 2:29 PM
You need an activation signal sent to your phone. Or another update. I think the phone is fine just sounds like it has "fallen" off the network somehow. LG's are kinda prone to this just after activation. how long have you had the phone? was it just a few day when this happened or was it around 30 days? 30 days means you need an LRN assigned, less than that and you probably just need the activation signal sent. call customer care.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.