Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 7 replies

Sooo? 3G or EDGE for the international traveler?

jthomp14az

Aug 6, 2004, 8:46 PM
So far (besides satellite phones) it seems the best way to go is a Unlocked GSM quad band on T-Mobile. Then when overseas use a prepaid card when making calls, but leave in your USA T-Mobile card to receive calls. The question now turns to data. With a laptop in the US now, as long as you've got wi-fi, it seems that all you have to do is turn it on and your on someones wireless network. So if I want to use my notebook overseas I would prefer a phone with EDGE for performance, right? What about costs? Satellite phones are way down in price, but their data rates are horrible. I'm going to be all over the place starting in 2005 and would greatly appreciate it if folks could tel me if I'm headed in the right direction. While traveling I'll need ...
(continues)
CainMarko

Aug 9, 2004, 12:39 AM
What are these "satellite phones" you speak of? All cell phones work on cell towers which are conveniently located on Earth, where they work alot better than if they were in orbit. 😛 If you EVER hear a salesman tell you that they are hooking you up with a "satellite phone", spit in his face and leave the store. 🤣 um... unless MAYBE in the future, they actually DO have Satellite Phones.

Yeah, I heard a salesperson once tell a customer that he was going to GIVE him FOR FREE a BRAND NEW Global Satellite Mobile "GSM" phone. 😳 I nearly wet myself from laughter... I was like, Um Sir... That's "Global" "System" for "Mobile" communication. The customer turned and walked off. 🙄 That was back in my Voicestream days... ah, memories...
(continues)
phonepimp3376

Aug 9, 2004, 3:41 PM
CainMarko...time for me to correct YOU for a change... there ARE phones that use satellites. They are HELLA expensive, but do exist. Work a lot like ship to shore, or MariSat calling.

jthomp14az, my question is this: What makes you choose a quad-band from T-Mobile, who only uses GSM 1900 in the US, as opposed to a quad-band from say ATTWS or Cingular, who utilize GSM 850 and 1900 here? Not to mention that Cingular serves more countries than T-Mobile through roaming partners. Equipment costs for a quad-band from T-Mo are generally higher as well.

If you can give me an idea of your needs, I can do a comparison for you.
CainMarko

Aug 9, 2004, 11:06 PM
I stand corrected... I looked up some satellite phone stuff. They are based on cdma technology- how sad. I was pretty tipsy last night. 🤣
cai

Aug 9, 2004, 6:23 PM
Your statement about satellite telephones is not correct. There was a company that had quite a few satellites in orbit a few years ago, that did offer global telephone communication via satellite. That company went under and was bought by another one that I believe is trying to market the service. Also, there are certain government and private industry installations that use satellite telephones for communicating in case of emergencies or with far away and inhospitable places.
CainMarko

Aug 9, 2004, 11:13 PM
DAMN DAMN DAMN... the image of perfection is forever tarnished! Oh well... See, what I had heard was that a few years ago there was a company that tried it but failed miserably due to extreme costs and the not so greatness of the service.
Anyway, the response is still valid... anyone who tells you that a VZW or Cingular GSM phone is a satellite phone is a moron...
southwestcomm

Aug 9, 2004, 8:54 PM
Cain, Cain, Cain.....

Ever hear of Iridium or Global Star? Both are true satellite mobile phone operators. I sold Iridium and the service rocked - expensive - but rocked.
Rich Brome

Aug 10, 2004, 1:54 PM
If you have T-Mobile, you don't need quad-band. Period. Not that it hurts, but the GSM 850 will never get used. T-Mobile USA has exactly zero roaming agreements that include that band.

That's a good thing. Just get a tri-band 900/1800/1900 phone. There's a lot more to choose from, and you'll probably spend less.

If you're doing heavy data on your laptop, (and you have T-Mobile,) I'd recommend something like the Sony Ericsson GC79, which gives you tri-band GPRS and Wi-Fi in one data card. Of course most laptops have wi-fi built-in these days, so you might not need that part, but tri-band GPRS in a data card is the best way to get data worldwide at the moment.

EDGE isn't available for T-Mobile yet, and you won't find much of it...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.