Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 8 replies

jacks & accessories

sammy2

Jul 23, 2004, 9:27 PM
Does anyone know if the major phone manufacturers will ever create one standard for attaching accessories? It seems absurd that each time we upgrade we need to purchase different desktop or auto chargers and waste the ones we have. The only difference is number of pins or type of connector. This is one reason I had kept my startac for so long.
VZW Tech2

Jul 24, 2004, 11:14 AM
I say the odds are about 1 trillion to one that this would happen. Why would any manufacturer want to lose out on the revenue created by making phones have different charging and data ports. At verizon, we at one point, had the vx4400, 4500, and 3200 and they all had different ports. After the Startac, Moto's have all had the same port thought.
abbazabba

Jul 25, 2004, 3:11 AM
all of nokias chargers are compatible, there are currently two makes of earpieces. motorola has 2 or three charging systems, no idea of the earpieces.
disturbed1

Jul 26, 2004, 12:44 AM
It looks to me like almost everyone is going to a standard form for these ports within their own lines, but a universal design? Not unless the gov't mandates it, which is very unlikely.
abbazabba

Jul 26, 2004, 1:26 AM
and often it's events like this that make me think the 1984 breakup of the bell system may have been the biggest calamity to befall mankind.
renfield

Jul 26, 2004, 9:22 PM
I can tell you for certain that the Newer Samsung CDMA phones are all cross compatible as far as Headset jacks are concerned and are generally comaptible with non-Samsung Headsets. But be warned, use of third-party products resulting in damage to the jack WILL void your warranty.
I can also tell you that when it comes to the GSM phones, while they are inter-compatible with each other, they are NOT compatible wiht 3rd Party US products as they are a European-style jack, ostensibly because they are supposed to be a "Global" phone.
Rich Brome

Jul 28, 2004, 10:30 AM
Yes, it's called Bluetooth. 😉 95% of all phone-cable scenarios can be replaced with Bluetooth if all the profiles are supported by the phone.

And seriously, the fact that it's a universal standard is one of the big advantages of Bluetooth that isn't talked about all that much.

It's one of the reasons car manufacturers are so hot on Bluetooth - making all those handsfree kits for specific brands' connectors was driving them insane. Bluetooth solves the whole problem, and it's more convenient for the user as well (no cradle, keep your phone in your pocket, etc.)
sammy2

Jul 28, 2004, 3:08 PM
I hope they agree on universal jacks for charging.
Rich Brome

Jul 28, 2004, 3:29 PM
Some carriers are trying to do that. I believe Sprint has a universal charging plug than many of its phones support. Many newer Sprint phones can be charged using either jack - the big connector or the Sprint power jack.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.