Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 5 replies

curious

disturbed1

Jul 16, 2004, 12:21 AM
I'm just curious, when I moved to an area outside of U.S. Cellular's coverage area they invalidated my contract and took my phone instead of making me pay the early termination fee (hence my distaste for them). I had a lot of numbers in that phone that I didn't have written down, and I can think of at least one that would have been on the phone that I had prior to that. Here's the question: It's an ANCIENT Nokia 282 (from the analog days), if I were to plug it in and go thru the memory would I be able to find my missing number even though it's been powered down in excess of a two years?
Airwar

Jul 16, 2004, 12:43 AM
What have you got to lose other than that phone number. Try it!
disturbed1

Jul 16, 2004, 12:51 AM
actually shortly after I posted the message I went looking thru an old box full of miscellaneous stuff and found the charger. I've got it plugged in, but so far it won't turn on (after like 15 min. of charging, so no big deal yet). I figure it's worth a shot. If anyone knows anything for sure I'd love to hear it. Otherwise I'll let ya know if it works. 😁
disturbed1

Jul 16, 2004, 9:18 AM
HOLY CRAP!!!! It actually worked!!! 😲 I checked it this morning and after charging all night it works like it was never shut off. This was before caller ID, so I had to check the numbers dialed menu, but by God, the number I was searching for was there.

Just goes to show ya, erase your memory before ya throw out a phone, never know who could get your private numbers with a simple charge of the battery. 😁
VZWCustServ

Jul 18, 2004, 2:41 PM
disturbed1 said:
HOLY CRAP!!!! It actually worked!!! 😲 I checked it this morning and after charging all night it works like it was never shut off. This was before caller ID, so I had to check the numbers dialed menu, but by God, the number I was searching for was there.

Just goes to show ya, erase your memory before ya throw out a phone, never know who could get your private numbers with a simple charge of the battery. 😁

A better lesson is: "Never throw out your phone, you might need it some day."
Airwar

Jul 19, 2004, 4:41 AM
I have kept my last (2) previous phones and one I gave to a friend. Always zero out your phone books even if throwing the phone in the trash. I suggest retaining at least the last previous phone as a spare. It can be reactivated in minutes. You'll have old phone book that needs only a minor update. The Women's Shelters don't need anymore donated phones as their Swimming in them now! So Keep it.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.