Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

PCsync vs SuncML? repost from General

redrockhiker

Jul 14, 2004, 11:40 AM
I am re-posting here because I got no replies in General:

Will someone please educate me about these features? I am in the market for a (new every 2 Verizon) replacement for my Samsung A310.

I would very much like to be able to sync with Outlook for contacts. Carrying email addresses and calendar data would be great too.

I have been monitoring the forum for the anticipated Motorola V710 which touts both features but no USB connection. It has bluetooth but I know little of this technology and do not understand how it communicates with a desktop PC.

All info greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
~RRH~
cai

Jul 14, 2004, 2:32 PM
I will not attempt to educate you on bluetooth, except to say that it is not that challenging to set up and use. I read the instructions, for both the telephone and the PC interface, and did a successful synch in under half an hour. My telephone is an SE T610, but I am sure that the settings and procedures are similar for other brands.
redrockhiker

Jul 14, 2004, 5:22 PM
Thanks for your response. What technology on your desk top computer interacts with the bluetooth of the cell phone?
Rich Brome

Jul 14, 2004, 8:46 PM
SyncML is a specific technology that primarily lets you sync OTA (over the air - over the cell phone network) with a server on the Internet. SyncML is found more on GSM phones than CDMA. If you use Verizon, I wouldn't worry about SyncML.

As for PC sync, that's just a generic term. How it actually works, and whether it interfaces with Outlook, is dependent in the sync software you're using on your PC. There are lots of 3rd-party solutions available for this type of sync, and most of them work with Outlook.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.