Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 8 replies

GSM/WCDMA

NeumZ

Jul 12, 2004, 10:22 AM
are they backwaords compatitble? like if i have a WCDMA only newtork will a GSM phone work on it?
phonepimp3376

Jul 12, 2004, 12:58 PM
Yes. My understanding is that WCDMA will be backwards compatible. WCDMA has a GSM core, so it should.

For more info on WCDMA development, I would check out www.gsmworld.com

Hope this helps!
CainMarko

Jul 12, 2004, 1:46 PM
It will be a live seemless handoff from umts(wcdma) to gsm and vice versa. The phones themselves will have both technologies. Like i said, the handoffs will be live and seemless, not like the GAIT phones that drop calls when handing off.

Along with
http://www.gsmworld.com »

you can find some good info on
http://www.umts-forum.org »

Both are REALLY INFORMATIVE SITES.
Rich Brome

Jul 12, 2004, 2:09 PM
The standards do include that feature, but it is not implemented in most WCDMA phones. So far, only Nokia WCDMA phones can do live handofss like that.
CainMarko

Jul 13, 2004, 12:13 PM
Totally true. I guess that's why you run the site. You know your stuff. I was referring to the US release. By the time the US is selling those phones nationwide, most if not all of the phones will be able to do that. We are still a year or two from a launch here in the states.

Do you think you could enlighten the forum as to some of the differences between the CDG and the GSM group? And how their technologies are different? (even tho there's a bunch of intitials that look the same)

I think you could shed some light on the subject. Just so we can know the facts of why we are on the forum debating the issue. 😛
phonepimp3376

Jul 13, 2004, 12:15 PM
Great idea!
Rich Brome

Jul 13, 2004, 2:38 PM
Here's the best resource I've found on the subject:

http://www.ericsson.com/products/white_papers.shtml »

Check out "Basic concepts of WCDMA Radio Access Networks" and "The evolution of GSM and WCDMA into a seamless network". They're kind of lengthy and technical, but it is a complex technical topic, and these are more readable than most.
CainMarko

Jul 14, 2004, 7:56 AM
I read those documents(which area few years old by the way). They were VERY informative and should shed some light on the subject. One thing to keep in mind, folks. The expectaions set forth by that document have already been met and exceeded. I can't wait for it to hit the states.
Rich Brome

Jul 12, 2004, 2:06 PM
No. WCDMA is a radically different, new technology that is not directly backward-compatible with anything.

However, all WCDMA phones to date (outside of Japan) also include GSM, so they can use GSM networks when outside of WCDMA coverage areas, and that GSM roaming is automatic.

So, all current WCDMA phones are "backward-compatible" with GSM, but it's not quite accurate to say that WCDMA technology is backward-compatible with GSM.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.