Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 5 replies

I know, but....

disturbed1

Jul 11, 2004, 3:39 PM
Hi,

Alright, I know this is a HOT button topic and all, but I must know. 🤭

It looks like I'm about to get into selling wireless service for Cingular (no company prefs just REALLY need a job and they want me). From what I've seen they're one of, if not the only GSM carrier here and everyone else is CDMA (VZW and ALLTEL mostly). I've always found it a damn good selling point if the tech is better behind what I'm selling. So here goes the bombshell question: Which is REALLY better? CDMA or GSM? I'm not talkin in terms of who has better phones or faster data speeds or anything like that. Which is better to call folks on? Most of the people I'll work with are not bells and whistles people, they want a PHONE.

Any i...
(continues)
VZWCustServ

Jul 11, 2004, 5:32 PM
First CDMA is a technology whereas GSM is a family of technologies. GSM is really TDMA, FDMA, and some others.It will also have WCDMA in the future.

CDMA has a higher capacity per tower.

GSM is reported as having a 'more true sound' meaning that it sounds more like the persons actual voice. Whereas CDMA is 'tinny' or 'squeeky' acording to some. I use CDMA and don't notice a real difference.

CDMA is the newer technology and is supposed to have more potential.

GSM is more popular and benefits from an 'open' access philosophy like Linux or early Dos.

CDMA is a closed technology like Apple/Macintosh so is more reliably secure because it's harder for ne'erdowells to develop dangerous/sneaky programs/viruses. This is not much of...
(continues)
disturbed1

Jul 11, 2004, 9:42 PM
The glossary def. of GSM on this site is rather fuzzy and I haven't been able to find too much on it honestly. I can actually see where some might say CDMA sounds a bit tinny...I'm on ALLTEL and when I talk to my girlfriend on it her voice doesn't sound quite right, but you get used to it.

It sounds basically like what I was already thinking. Not better just different. But in all fairness, for those who want phones strictly to be phones it sounds like GSM is the way to go where CDMA offers better potential for speed and security for the data users. Not to mention for those who like/have to travel out of country GSM works where CDMA doesn't.

Thanks a lot that certainly helps. Any others who wanna throw their two cents in are welcom...
(continues)
justpeachy

Jul 12, 2004, 11:51 AM
VZW said it right- and a lot of it depends on where you are and where you want the phone to work. For example, GSM works well in the city here, but if you go west more than 15 miles or so your phone gets no service. CDMA has MUCH better coverage in my area. I'm sure there are plenty of areas where the opposite is true. If you start talking network size, number of customers, date speed, etc, you're just asking for a big ole pissing contest (see Verizon and general forums). But if call quality is the only thing that's important, you've got 6 in one hand, and half a dozen in the other.
phonepimp3376

Jul 12, 2004, 1:15 PM
If you want to get the goods from the sources themselves, visit these sites:

CDMA - http://www.cdg.org/index.asp

GSM - http://www.gsmworld.com

Everthing you ever wanted to know (and a ton of stuff you didn't) about both of the country's dominant wireless standards.
Rich Brome

Jul 12, 2004, 2:01 PM
For the type of user you're asking about, the truth is that it really doesn't make much of a difference. For the person who just wants to make calls, the technology is not really that important.

GSM sounds a bit better to many people, but it's not a major difference. It's not like you'll have any difficulty understanding someone on CDMA.

What I'm getting at is that I don't think it makes any sense to make "GSM technology" part of your sales pitch. It's just not that big of a selling point for the average user.

What makes MUCH more of a difference is coverage where the user lives, works, and travels. If Cingular has a better network with better coverage in your area, than that's a selling point you should focus on.

Now, that's jus...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.