Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 12 replies

Worldphone Raoming

San

Jul 6, 2004, 6:04 AM
Would like to know how the following are implemented in Verizon's Worldphone.

Could help me understand the sequence of steps a user of a world phone has to follow when he/she moves from

CDMA(Verizon network) -> GSM (Vodafone)
Does the user make a call or sends an SMS to intimate the n/w that I am moving form CDMA to GSM ??

Vodafone -> Verizon ()
How would network understand that it has to stop routing calls to the GSM MDN ?

Another point of interest is roaming into Vodfone's roaming partner ,how is this implemented. ?? Another scenario where user is roaming on Vodafones roaming partner but Verizons partner is also available. How does the n/w decide which to choose ??
phonepimp3376

Jul 7, 2004, 1:44 AM
I am assuming you mean the Samsung SCH-A790

If that is the worldphone you speak of, its this simple:

In the US, VZW uses CDMA bands 800 and 1900
Overseas, the phone seeks out GSM 900 and 1800, the most common GSM bands abroad. Since these GSM bands are not used in the US, the phone seeks only CDMA coverage here.

Hope this helps!
phonepimp3376

Jul 7, 2004, 1:49 AM
Also, you should know that many of your features and services, even some built into the phone, will not work if you are in GSM mode. MMS, voice dialing, wireless internet including BREW, and the voice memo feature only work in CDMA mode.
San

Jul 7, 2004, 2:03 AM
My question is how does the network understand that it has to stop routing calls to the GSM MSISDN and come back to the CDMA MDN.

Lets assume that i am Verizon user i want to roam in Europe since Verizon has agreement with Vodafone i "send an SMS" to the n/w saying the same. so i get an MSISDN number (thats my SIM card number, since i cant use the CDMA MDN ). And same for vice versa.

I wanna know how the SMS which i mentioned above has effect on the n/w ??
phonepimp3376

Jul 7, 2004, 8:41 PM
The GSM bands on the phone are not used in the US, only abroad, therefore since the CDMA bands are ALL it can pick up in the US, it HAS to use them.

The phone you mention has both CDMA and GSM bands, so it should not be necessary to get a MSISDN, it should be present already. I see no need for the SMS unless it lets the provider know to enable international features or something. The Network switch is a function of the phone.

Think of it this way... a GSM phone has, for example 1800/1900 bands. SInce 1800 is not used in the US, the phone will pick up 1900 only. However, when the phone travels to a country that uses 1800, it detects THAT band. The Samsung searches for both GSM and CDMA signals, but the GSM bands it searches for are only...
(continues)
San

Jul 8, 2004, 12:50 AM
thanks.so you saying that moment i switch modes from CDMA to GSM or vice versa network understands ,to stop routing calls.

Going one step further :
If the user was in GSM, all calls made from the world phone will show a GSM CLI and probably whoever he has called will use the GSM number to call him back. What happens when the world phone now moves from GSM to CDMA and the people he has last called try to reach him on the GSM number.
In keeping with the "World Phone" concept, the calls should ideally reach him. But how will this be handled from a product point of view? What would happen to SMSs and calls made to the GSM number?
phonepimp3376

Jul 8, 2004, 11:35 AM
My understanding is that the number stays the same on both technologies, so even though it is a US number, people would simply dial the number they always call. As stated earlier, some CDMA features will not be available in CDMA mode. From what I can see on this one, SMS works in both modes. More advanced features, such as MMS, do not.

This is not a fault of the GSM technology, simply a difference of how the data is handled by the equipment. The phone is not designed as a fully functional GSM phone inside a CDMA phone, but is designed to allow the use of GSM in countries that do not support CDMA.
San

Jul 9, 2004, 2:23 AM
The way Verizon has implemented is two numbers one for GSm and other for CDMA. though i am not sure would appreciate if anyone could get me some info on Verizons implementation
vzwdaddy

Jul 8, 2004, 1:41 PM
i plead ingnorance phonepimp what is msisdn?
phonepimp3376

Jul 8, 2004, 2:30 PM
MSISDN = a GSM subscribers telephone number - Mobile Subscriber ISDN
VZW Tech2

Jul 10, 2004, 11:30 AM
Actually, you have to manually switch the mode to GSM when abroad. Then change it back to CDMA when back in the US. N/W follows the phone so if its night where the phone is, then thats when that waould take effect. I don't think its unlimited N/W when outside the US though.
In GSM you can still send and rec txt but no brew, and voicemail indication.
phonepimp3376

Jul 10, 2004, 2:32 PM
thanks VZWTech2... I knew there were some differences between the CDMA/GSM phones and the GSM worldphones. What is the deal with two phone numbers? Is that right? Seems one number would work, if you manually put the phone into GSM.
San

Jul 12, 2004, 12:42 AM
Does a verizon subscriber send an sms to the n/w. if not how does n/w understand the subscriber is not in CDMA mode.Is this possible Just by switching the mode on the phone.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.