Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

GSM/CDMA/TDMA Spectrum Sharing?

stustustu

Jun 10, 2004, 3:59 PM
Greetings,

To the best of my understanding, in Tulsa, GSM, TDMA and CDMA all make use of the 1900Mhz freqency band.

Try as I might, I just am totally unable to figure out how that can possibly work. Can anyone shed some light on that?
Rich Brome

Jun 10, 2004, 4:53 PM
Sure. 😁

The short answer is that the PCS (1900) band is subdivided into smaller bands. Your intuition is right - two technologies can't operate on the same frequency at the same time.

Now the long answer plus examples:

For any given area (such as Tulsa), there are six (soon to be seven) licenses issued by the FCC. Each license is owned by one company, and each covers a sub-band of frequencies within the whole PCS (1900 MHz) band.

The whole band covers 1850 - 1990 MHz, so it's actually quite a wide swath of spectrum. 1850 - 1910 MHz is what the phones transmit on, while 1930 - 1900 MHz is for the towers to transmit back to the phones.

So, for example, in Tulsa:

- Sprint owns the 30 MHz "B" block, which covers 1870 - 1885 ...
(continues)
Rich Brome

Jun 10, 2004, 4:54 PM
🤭 I meant to say:

"1930 - 1990 MHz is for the towers to transmit back to the phones"

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.