Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 5 replies

EVDO technology

zipnrnd

May 19, 2004, 6:11 PM
What's the word on EVDO coming to fruition in August? Does anyone know if Motorola and Verizon will be an option? Thanks.
Rich Brome

May 20, 2004, 5:52 PM
That depends on what you mean by "fruition". In some cities, it's already available. It will be available in a growing number of cities over the course of the next year.

Motorola is definitely working on EV-DO phones, but they haven't announced any yet, so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Malchiah

May 29, 2004, 3:07 AM
Are there ANY carriers in the US (Im in NYC) that use EV-DO or something similar?

I would like to use internet on my phone, but can't stand the slow speeds. The way it is now, I feel like throwing the phone against the wall after only 5 minutes.
Rich Brome

May 29, 2004, 11:34 AM
Verizon Wireless is currently in the process of rolling out EV-DO. It's live already in Washington, D.C. and San Diego, although no phones are available yet - only laptop cards. The VX-8000 should be the first EV-DO phone for the U.S.

What carrier are you with now? If you're with T-Mobile or Cingular, they only have GPRS, which is relatively slow. Sprint and Verizon have 1xRTT, which is 2-3 times faster, and AT&T Wireless has EDGE, which has similar speeds. You need an EDGE phone to get the speed benefit.
phonepimp3376

May 29, 2004, 2:27 PM
Just to let you know, Rich... Cingular has EDGE deployed as well... as a matter of fact we deployed it first.
Rich Brome

May 29, 2004, 2:47 PM
phonepimp3376 said:
Just to let you know, Rich... Cingular has EDGE deployed as well... as a matter of fact we deployed it first.

I know. It's not nationwide, though.

Cingular launched EDGE "first" in Indianapolis only. Whoop-dee-do... 🙄 😉

It's still not even close to nationwide. No EDGE yet in Washington DC, New York, Chicago, San Francsico, etc. here's the map:

http://www.cingular.com/download/gprsCoverage_050504 ... »

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.