Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

Who needs OnStar?

jackmccullough

Oct 23, 2005, 11:34 AM
I was watching another one of those heartwarming Onstar commercials and it occurred to me: who needs it? This is essentially a technology that places a cellular telephone call upon the occurrence of certain events (pushing the button, having your air bag deploy). It requires GM to maintain a call center, probably a pretty big one, to respond to calls twenty-four hours a day.

Couldn't a car manufacturer add a very small device to their air bag assemblies that would send a signal to the driver's cell phone telling the phone to dial 911 when the air bag deploys? The call goes into the local emergency response network, the car company doesn't have to maintain the call center, the customer doesn't have to pay a subscription fee for a service t...
(continues)
lorna

Oct 23, 2005, 1:24 PM
How creative! The pitfall lies in the driver's cell phone. What if he doesn't have one? (I know people who do not.) What if it is not with him or what if it is undercharged or just not working?

-Lorna
Vox Dei

Oct 24, 2005, 2:57 PM
It's not a win for the car manufacture. One thing they make money of this added feature because you have to pay your subscription. Also they get to advertise this added saftey/security feature that noone else has.
stevelvl

Oct 26, 2005, 8:57 PM
on star has other features too.

1. if your car is stolen they can track it with on star. if you are lost onstar can give you turn by turn diretions (right now sprint and nextel are the only 2 that can due this)

2. onstar dial outomatically when air bags deploy. in a serious accendent chances are you will be incapable of dialing 911.

3. onstar uses cdma/ amps which gives you coverage prity much any where a car can go. may of oyu have gsm. there is a large part of this county not covered by gsm (roughly 1/3).

4. if you lock your keys in your car onstar can unlock your car. if you loose your keys onstar can unlock your car then start your car.

#4 is worth the montey to most people. i know atleast 4 times in my life i would have...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.