Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 6 replies

Is GAIT being used much?

pcandreas

Oct 21, 2003, 2:17 PM
Are there any GAIT capable networks out there?
Will this be dead soon? 😳
Rich Brome

Oct 21, 2003, 10:36 PM
Cingular and AT&T both offer it.

It's crucial for people who want the best coverage (TDMA), but also features like GPRS. In other words, business customers.

No carrier (well, except Virgin) can afford to ignore business users, which is why GAIT is offered, even though it doesn't get promoted much.

It also explains why the few GAIT handsets are pretty much no-nonsense affairs. Few business users care about color displays and poly ringtones.

I haven't heard much about new GAIT handsets, except that LG might do one for their new buddy Cingular next year.
mobile_guru

Oct 26, 2003, 2:50 PM
i dont think that by next year there will be any need for GAIT cause by then TDMA will be converted in to 850 gsm so all those dual phones with 850 on em will finally get to use that band.
Rich Brome

Oct 26, 2003, 4:00 PM
By the end of 2004, definitely. But until then, TDMA will still provide better coverage in at least some significant areas.
TomZ

Oct 27, 2003, 10:13 AM
At my (Cingular) store, GAIT is about 5% and GSM 95% of total activations.

Of course, it depends where you are. In Dallas/Ft. Worth GAIT would have been much higher of a percentage in anticipation of Cingular turning on their GSM.

tz
wb

Oct 27, 2003, 10:11 PM
There are more GAIT phones being used in the Eastern states than anywhere else, this is because of the prevalence of mom and pop outfits that run on TDMA.
There are certainly more GAIT and TDMA phones in use in the mid-west. While GSM may have their own turf covered better in metropolitan areas by 2004, the fact remains that large tracks of land will not be covered by GSM for some time yet. Shall the cell phone companies ignore the millions of people who live there?

While I went into cell phones for business contacts I went into GAIT for personal travel. There is nothing like traveling in the hills of Oregon and not being able to call for help- especially when in sight of an AMPS cell phone tower.
prcstrp

Oct 28, 2003, 7:09 PM
Siemens came out with another Gait phone that will probably really be the best in the analog areas mostly.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.