Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 7 replies

PTT systems

NeumZ

Jun 29, 2005, 7:22 AM
What are the differences between Kodiaks RTX and GSM standared for PTT (the standared nokia, moto and ericsson came together to develope)?

Which is better?
Rich Brome

Jul 3, 2005, 3:01 PM
PoC (Push-to-talk over Cellular) is the GSM "standard". The basic way it works is similar to the technologies Sprint and Verizon use.

They all send your voice over the packet data connection (GPRS or 1xRTT). These data networks weren't designed top provide the fast response (low latency) that people normally expect from real-time voice application, so there's a delay between when you speak and when the other person hears what you said.

They've tweaked the heck out of them to get acceptable latency, but still, none of them are as fast as Nextel, which was designed for PTT from the ground up.

Kodiak's technology is very different. It's a very clever hack to the switching network that uses the circuit-switched voice channels instead. S...
(continues)
simplymarcus

Jul 3, 2005, 4:39 PM
Rich Brome said:
PoC (Push-to-talk over Cellular) is the GSM "standard". The basic way it works is similar to the technologies Sprint and Verizon use.

They all send your voice over the packet data connection (GPRS or 1xRTT). These data networks weren't designed top provide the fast response (low latency) that people normally expect from real-time voice application, so there's a delay between when you speak and when the other person hears what you said.

They've tweaked the heck out of them to get acceptable latency, but still, none of them are as fast as Nextel, which was designed for PTT from the ground up.

Kodiak's technology is very different. It's a very clever hack to the switching network that uses the circu
(continues)
Rich Brome

Jul 3, 2005, 9:56 PM
Yes, I do - or very close.

You could ask the folks in the Alltel forum. Alltel has already launched Kodiak's technology, and most of the feedback I've heard has been good.

Cingular's system may perform slightly differently than Alltel's due to GSM vs. CDMA differences, but it should still have much better performance compared to Sprint, Verizon, or any other current packet-based system.

That could change when Verizon and Sprint launch EV-DO release A, but until then...
simplymarcus

Jul 3, 2005, 10:44 PM
Rich one last question which phones do you think Cingular will launch with PTT.
colione112

Aug 7, 2005, 1:53 AM
Sept is what i hear from the birdies... with so many ptt phones coming out this month and next month, it makes sense... also if you have access to CSP(internal only), there are already links for the PTT info... only no info has been posted yet. but it's there.
NeumZ

Jul 3, 2005, 8:29 PM
Thank you Rich for explaining this. Do you feel that the better choice for cellco's are kodiak?
simplymarcus

Jul 3, 2005, 10:47 PM
I think that is what he is saying. I work for Cingular and I know how unstable GPRS is. Doing PTT over GPRS with all problems and EDGE is better but still not reliable enough.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.