Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

The Industry in 20 years...

shayalon

Jun 2, 2005, 4:03 PM
This idea fascinates me. I could not imagine, in the ages of rotary dial phones, that I would have been walking around 25 years later with a little, shiny, pretty little box with which I can do all the cool things I can do now. (wireless communications, pictures, games, etc.)

What do you think we'll be seeing in 20 years?
texaswireless

Jun 2, 2005, 6:22 PM
Ever see the movie Minority Report?

I think Spielberg did a good job capturing that one. Although, that was 50 years into the future.

I think your Bluetooth headset you see today will be the phone of tomorrow. Voice recognition will be so advanced there will be little if any need for traditional keyed input.
regenesis

Jun 25, 2005, 8:27 PM
From a technology standpoint, the biggest change will be a move to an entirely packet-based network. New wireless technologies will allow for increasingly greater bandwidth and faster transmission speeds. VoIP will completely surplant circuit switched connections, and more and more data features will become standard as voice and data traffic become indistinguishable.

Expect to see bigger, sharper displays; high quality streaming media; phones with non-traditional form factors (the previous suggestion of a phone consisting entirely of a headset, e.g.). More efficient/inexpensive flash memory will allow for higher resolution photos and videos as well as more storage space for media.

Traditional telcos will be in their death throes. T...
(continues)
0siris

Jun 26, 2005, 3:24 PM
It's intriguing and even a little fun to speculate about where wireless communications will go in the future. But, y'know, we simply don't know where the future's interest will lie. As little as 3 years ago, picture messaging was not only unheard of, but no one was even sure the phones would work reliably, or be used.

Anyone remember Sprint's "Uproar" MP3 phone? Integrated MP3 player and phone. Sprint sold, what, 100 of 'em? I'm exaggerating the lack of interest in that phone, but you see my point, don't you? Now there's talk of Motorola (and maybe others) creating an iTunes phone. And Sprint has two phones that include memory card slots with built-in media players to play MP3's. And let's not forget the streaming services from Ve...
(continues)
kentthealiasguy

Jun 27, 2005, 4:26 AM
Tough to say, but...

It would be nice to see a small phone that is more of a personal assistant/ accountant/ entertainment center/ GPS, and is a size of todays earplug that can work anywhere on the globe with seamless connectivity/ instant on or always on. In todays consumer electronic products, stronger, cheaper, faster, lighter, and more advanced is what the buyers want and that common factor will not change 20 years from now.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.