Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

Speaker dependent vs. speaker independent voice dialing

rla1000

Feb 7, 2010, 3:32 PM
Can anybody speak (no pun intended) to trends in the cell phone industry re speaker dependent vs. speaker independent voice dialing? I'm interested in 1) anyone's experience with the quality/functionality of either or both technologies and 2) which direction the industry is headed.

What prompts this query is this: I have been using my trusty LG VX7000 for something going on five years. This phone is bullet proof and has as much technology as I need and WANT except for email access. I LOVE the speaker dependent voice dialing feature. I have some 20 tagged numbers wherein I previously recorded a single name. The phone operates thus: push a single hot button on the side, a pleasant female voice asks "name please", I say "John", the v...
(continues)
ecycled

Feb 8, 2010, 5:12 PM
Can't say about speaker dependent voice dialing, maybe one of Moto Razrs (not V9)? They are usaully cheap second hand.

Alternative: I'm sure Verizon has this too, but on ATT there is *8 for 4.99(free first 30 days). It is a phone independent network feature. This means if you use it and save your contacts to it, if you switch phones it will work just the same and move with you. Could be worth a try.

I am sorry you are having problems with your phone. I use the voicedial (independent) starting with the Blackberry Pearl, with very good luck. I have used the LG Vu, and now LG XENON. I really won't have a phone without it. In the car I have a speakerphone Bluetooth and can just hit the call button and speak the name without even taking it...
(continues)
rla1000

Feb 8, 2010, 6:00 PM
Thank you for your reply. I had a strong feeling the industry was headed toward speaker independent technology given the dearth of speaker dependent phones by the mainstream carriers, and those that are listed are no longer being offered or supported. Screening on phonescoop for S-D voice dialing, camera, and flip (clamshell), and currently available produces a total of about three phones among all carriers combined, and I don't like the looks of any of them.

Thanks also for your feedback on your experience with S-I. It sounds like this feature/technology on your phone operates more reliably than on the Rumor2. This will be good to know when I do have to get a new phone.

For now, the carrier I was switching to waived the ETF I woul...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.