Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 11 replies

help! Nokia / T-Zones

mihaelb

Mar 22, 2005, 5:14 PM
Hey all

I was wondering if anyone knows how to get rid of T-Zones, or reconfigure it, so that I can use the web-enabled features with a provider other than t-mobile? I tried using that mouse2web thing that nokia has, but nothing comes through (not even mms settings or anything).

any suggestions?

thanks!
elihuspeaks

Mar 22, 2005, 7:18 PM
I do a lot of reconfiguring GSM phones, but mainly to get to work on T-Mobile (not the other way around). What model of phone do you have? Also, you probably won't be able to 'delete' tzones, but on a lot of phones, you can go into the browser and set up a new profile, and then set that as your default. And what provider are you trying to get it to work with? I can tell you the settings for T-Mobile, but I don't know the settings for the other carriers. There may be some compability issues with some of the features that you want to use (i.e. you may not be able to use them on the other network - ever).
mihaelb

Mar 22, 2005, 7:44 PM
It's a Nokia 6610

I don't really care if 't-zones' is there, but that's the only option under 'service options'. When I select it, it says 'please subscribe to GPRS first'.
I'm with Fido (Canada). I do have all the settings (emailed to me by customer service), but neither I nor they know where to enter them, as the T-Mobile menus are different/prohibitive.

thanks
elihuspeaks

Mar 22, 2005, 9:05 PM
Has your phone been unlocked yet (can it accept a Fido sim card?) Your phone uses Symbian Series 60, so I'm assuming that the menus are going to be similar to the Nokia 6600.
1. Click the menu button
2. Click on the tools icon
3. Click on the settings icon
4. Click on the connection icon
5. Click on access points (options-then open)
6. Click on the options button again
7. Select 'new access point'

At this point I'm not sure whether you want to use the default or existing settings. I would try the default settings first. Assuming you do that . . .
1. Name the connection "Fido" (or something like that.
2. Leave the data bearer as GPRS
3. access point name = internet.fido.ca
4. user name = "fido"
5. Leave prompt...
(continues)
mihaelb

Mar 22, 2005, 9:22 PM
Hey

The menus are a bit different, but I got to 'access points' under 'modem settings'. I was only able to enter wap.fido.ca and name that access point. no places to enter the rest of the info. Same thing happens, though, when I go to gprs, then tzones-it says to subscribe to gprs first.

any more ideas? 🙂

thanks
elihuspeaks

Mar 23, 2005, 5:19 PM
I don't think the modem is what you're looking for (I believe that function allows you to use your phone as a wireless modem for you PC - the access point would be your regular internet access point). You should be able to find a menu under the browser or the connection/connectivity settings that will allow you to create a new WAP profile (and that will allow you to type in all or most of the information that I listed above or that Fido sent you). After you're able to create a new profile, there should be some other menu that will allow you to set that profile as your default. Also, Fido offers pay per use GPRS access, but I think you have to ask them to activate it on your line first before you can begin using it. What area of Canada ar...
(continues)
mihaelb

Mar 23, 2005, 7:42 PM
I looked for those menus, and they exist in the manual, but the manual refers to a different set of menus than the ones being displayed...I think t-mobile disabled a bunch of options, or at least hid them somehow.
I'm in an area that would have GPRS (near Toronto).
Eugh...what a pain this turned out to be 🙂

thanks for trying!
elihuspeaks

Mar 23, 2005, 8:42 PM
That is bizarre. I work for a master dealer for T-Mobile and am pretty familiar with their phones. They don't generally disable features on their phones (that's one of the things I really like about T-Mobile), and if you have the phone that I think you do, those menus should be available. Where did you get the phone from? If it is used, the previous user may have changed the menu display setup as well as what menus are displayed (you can do that in Symbian).
mihaelb

Mar 23, 2005, 9:13 PM
I got it off of ebay, so anything's possible.

I do think it was a t-mobile phone, as T-Mobile is displayed on bootup, and t-zones is there...
sw44

Mar 24, 2005, 9:06 PM
if it wont work with nokia sending you the settings from online then the only other option would be a data cable and some software to reprogram the settings. t-mob has that facet of non symbian based phones removed from the software, so you cannot just input the settings. so it may end up being a bigger job than you want.

ps. if "elihuspeaks" is a master dealer and has done numerous changes of settings with nokias, how come he doesnt know its not a symbian based phone?
mihaelb

Mar 24, 2005, 9:33 PM
Is that software for reprogramming the phone available for download anywhere? I never shy away from a technology-based challenge ;)

well, whether he does or doesn't, he never claimed the phone to be unlocked, he did say it's t-mobile (ebay).

thanks!
elihuspeaks

Mar 25, 2005, 2:57 PM
My mistake 🤭 I thought I had read that he was using a Nokia 6620. Looking back I realize that he was using a 6610. And you're right, the fact that its not Symbian makes it harder to reprogram. Sorry.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.