Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 21 replies

US BEHIND IN TECH??????

777MASTER-B

Mar 13, 2005, 5:59 PM
WHY IS THE US SO FAR BEHIND IN THE PHN TECH WORLD?
I WOULD REALLY LOVE A PHN-MP3 PLAYER THAT ACTUALLY
DOWNLOADS SONGS(MORE THAN JUST A COUPLE). DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A PHN IN US THAT WILL DO THIS? JAPAN IS FULL OF PHNS LIKE THIS???????????
Aarynk

Mar 13, 2005, 6:03 PM
777MASTER-B said:
WHY IS THE US SO FAR BEHIND IN THE PHN TECH WORLD?
I WOULD REALLY LOVE A PHN-MP3 PLAYER THAT ACTUALLY
DOWNLOADS SONGS(MORE THAN JUST A COUPLE). DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A PHN IN US THAT WILL DO THIS? JAPAN IS FULL OF PHNS LIKE THIS???????????

Moto is rumoring to have a phone called the ROCKR that is a full mp3 player and phone. I do not know the release date though
thejason

Mar 13, 2005, 6:10 PM
is your caps lock button stuck?

as far as the phones, they're coming, but it's slow. it's asia getting revenge on us for making a movie about samurais staring Tom Cruise.
Rich Brome

Mar 17, 2005, 6:40 AM
Please stop shouting... 🙄
pizpiz80

Mar 17, 2005, 12:28 PM
Rich Brome said:
Please stop shouting... 🙄

🤣 You know you are annoying when Rich puts the smack down.
777MASTER-B

Mar 17, 2005, 3:08 PM
Ok , sorry I was having that kind of day. 🤭
Disciple247365

Mar 17, 2005, 6:35 PM
The Samsung P-777 has 100 mb of storage, plays MP3's and also has removable flash memory.

The SE S710a comes w/ 32mb built in & a 32mb memstick duo & is upgradable to 128mb. There are already a couple Nokias (the 6230 & 6620) that use MMC & play MP3's - plus Moto has the MPX220 that uses mini-SD.

These are several examples of phones that play MP3s & have larger storage capacity than your typical phone. So WTF are you whining about??? Open up your eyes.
777MASTER-B

Mar 17, 2005, 6:44 PM
So you can actually download mps from the internet at a GOOD bit rate, if so what site does it support? Take a good look at the phns in Japan and Europe compared to U.S. Why do all the new models seem to come out in other countries?
Disciple247365

Mar 17, 2005, 6:52 PM
Download directly from Napster or itunes, or wherever you want. Transfer the mp3 files to your phone via data cable, infared, or BT. It really is that easy.
Disciple247365

Mar 17, 2005, 7:31 PM
Part of the reason you might not be aware of all these phones that I have mentioned to you is because you are too busy looking down your nose at anything that isn't cdma. All of the phones I mentioned were GSM handsets available through Cingular. Several of them are available through other gsm carriers as well. One of the advantages of being with a gsm provider is that there is more of an abundance of hi-tech phones than you will find on most cdma carriers.
777MASTER-B

Mar 18, 2005, 10:36 AM
Lots of cdma will accept transferred mps, I am talking about downloading mps directly off the internet onto a cell phn We have phns that will download at low bit rates, just wondering why other countries offer that feature; and yes I know they all use gsm due to more info transfer at once, but really how can you argue cdma does not get better reception in more places.
Disciple247365

Mar 18, 2005, 10:55 AM
777MASTER-B said:
but really how can you argue cdma does not get better reception in more places.

To make a blanket-type statement like that is a matter of opinion for which there is no reliable, unbiased research to support the claim one way or another. Perhaps where you live there is better CDMA coverage. That being the case, then CDMA would be the best choice. Also, if that is the case and I lived where you're at, then I'd consider getting cdma again too.

The places I've lived in the last couple years, coverage is even between major cdma & gsm carriers. As I stated earlier, I used to have VZW. I wasn't unhappy w/ them. I switched b/c of the "deal" I found I could get w/ rollover minutes. Don't...
(continues)
777MASTER-B

Mar 18, 2005, 12:08 PM
I think the real problem is we all need to use one universal system. We probablly will all go gsm one day, but how long will it take for that to happend. New York is covered with gsm towers but it seems that they have too many towers to close. The complete merge to gsm seems very far away if ever, too much money involved. If we all went cdma it would be good too but it will never happend especially with all the euro influence. The real people who suffer are the consumers who are not educated enough to make the proper choices. Whats your input? I used to work in cingular so I know both sides of the fence. Most of the AT&T tdma customers seem really unhappy about the coverage they now get.
Disciple247365

Mar 18, 2005, 12:24 PM
Cingular has the MTI map tool, which allows us to look up any street address & see what the coverage is like in that area. I think that Cingular needs to make it mandatory that this is utilized before any activation, thus preventing customers from being dissatisfied with service. Every company should do something like this. In the event that a customer is still dissatisfied with the service, they do have a 30 day period in which they can return the handset & be released from the contract.

I do agree with you that there is the possibility, because of the euro-system being what it is, we'll all go GSM. The other possibility that I see is WCDMA (I hope). It is my hope that as profits continue to grow for the service providers, that the...
(continues)
Dusto

May 23, 2005, 11:17 AM
The fact that with the merger of Cingular and AT&T wireless also is that Cingular is now upgrading all of AT&T's old towers to GSM as well. Combine that with the already in progress new towers... seems like some good coverage all around to me.
redolive

May 23, 2005, 11:49 AM
Cinuglar is not upgrading ATT's TDMA network, from everything I've heard they are going to be selling off most of those towers, T-Mobile is rumored to be receiving some of them.
stevelvl

May 23, 2005, 12:06 PM
what would t-mob do with tdma towers??? 🤣 is that there new path to 3g? 🙄

but who knows maybe they are getting the tdma towwers? but i am pritty sure as part of the merdger with at&t and cingular at&t was forced to sell off some of it's network and t-mob bought some gsm network out west.
pixxie_01

May 26, 2005, 1:45 PM
Cingular is going to sell our network to t-mobile. However, we have access to that network for four years while we build att's 850 towers to par. 850 is a better, stronger signal frequency so, even with selling our old good netwrok we will still have a better, larger TRUE nationwide coverage.
stevelvl

May 23, 2005, 12:04 PM
Dusto said:
The fact that with the merger of Cingular and AT&T wireless also is that Cingular is now upgrading all of AT&T's old towers to GSM as well. Combine that with the already in progress new towers... seems like some good coverage all around to me.

i sure hope so because with gsm you do need to have an insiane amount of towers to deliver any resonable signal in a populated aria. it take 10 gsm towers to equal 1 cdma tower. now befoe you all go flappen your jaws lake a flock of crows. the reason i say this is because it is a proven fact cdma has 10 times the call capacity of gsm
datluterror

Mar 23, 2005, 1:24 AM
the basic reason y the us is so far behind tech wise when it comes to wireless tech is....WE R 2 BIG... when it cost wireless service providers around $125,000 2 plan n build a tower n it can takes several hundred to 1,000 towers 2 do any major market its expensive 2 do a complete upgrade of a network. It doesnt make since 4 a carrier to keep jumping to the latest tech in america cause by the time they finish upgrading the network they already behind behind....dats y its takin so long 4 every1 to go full 3g here. as in asia and europe the same amount of towers can cover a entire county casue the country's coverage area is so small(aka hong kong, japan, korea) 🤣 but we will get thurr but by the time we do they still will b faster 🤣
Dusto

May 23, 2005, 11:18 AM
English. Learn it please. 😳
pixxie_01

May 26, 2005, 12:27 PM
The Nokia 6230. You can put a whole cd on the memory card or get a bigger memeory card

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.