Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 9 replies

"Threaded messaging"

ajlineman

Dec 8, 2008, 4:33 PM
So in reading some reviews I've seen alot of people complain about not having, or being excited about having "Threaded messaging". This is normally used in content related to text messaging. Its not a term I'm completely familiar with. I'm assuming this means that if you go over the normal 160 allowed charactors for a text message it will continue to let you type and create a second message. Am I correct in my assumption?
ElTriste

Dec 8, 2008, 5:16 PM
no. It just simplifies the process, by getting rid of the "inbox-outbox" style of the old phones, and changing it to an IM style. So each conversation has the sent and replies. It makes it alot easier to keep up a text convo. It however doesn't allow you to exceed any carriers limit. Some carriers allow you to exceed the 160 character limit, but it just separates the txt into 160 increments. That's carrier specific, but does not have anything to do with threaded texting.
ajlineman

Dec 8, 2008, 6:33 PM
So when I need to look up something I got in a text message I will need to scroll through one giant text message rather then having a inbox with time and date listings? Doesn't sound any more efficient to me.
And as far at retreival goes would there simply be an single box full of these IM style messages to browse through?
ElTriste

Dec 8, 2008, 10:56 PM
not really, but the plus side is phones with threaded messaging have a much larger storage capacity (I've got the centro and it stores as much as you have available in the phone) and you'd have to scroll up to find it. Most phones only give you 150 msgs. to save so it's a give and take I suppose 🤨
ajlineman

Dec 8, 2008, 11:22 PM
But is it any easier to review old messages? And after 20 or so text messages back and forth wouldn't take a while for a phone to load those long string messages? I mean I know it would probably only be a second or two delay but that would get annoying after too long...
ElTriste

Dec 9, 2008, 12:53 AM
not at all. Most of the phones with threaded texting are smart phones, so it's not any slower then the previous
Hombre07

Dec 9, 2008, 12:53 AM
I think with most phones you have a search function within the thread, like start typing and it will pull up all previous occurrences of what your typing.
Rich Brome

Dec 18, 2008, 7:34 PM
Actually, this is threaded messaging:

https://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/term.php?gid=455 »

Text messages longer than 160 chars - sent as a series of smaller ones - are called concatenated SMS.
ajlineman

Dec 18, 2008, 9:54 PM
Excelent. Thanks for clearin that up, the visual helped. So concentrated SMS, is that offered per device or set up on certain networks?
Rich Brome

Dec 18, 2008, 10:04 PM
I believe all major networks support it, if it even requires network support.

I think nearly all phones break up the messages automatically. Most newer phones will also re-assemble messages as they are received, to make it appear as if long messages are being sent with no limit. The network just sees the individual messages.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.