Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 11 replies

Best phone for signal strength?

Bookie

Sep 28, 2008, 11:18 PM
I'm in the market for a new Verizon phone, and want one that can do well with the not-so-strong signal at my house. What specs or features give a phone better signal-receiving ability? I don't give a whit about bells and whistles; I just want more than the 1 to 2 bars I'm getting on my 2-year-old LG VX8300. I use it for voice only, not data, so I'm assuming that it doesn't matter if the phone has EVDO rev 0 or A (not that I really know what those are...)

Thanks for any advice or insight you can offer!
andy2373

Sep 29, 2008, 12:49 AM
Nice, a link to a phone that's discontinued and only uses one CDMA band.
I'm surprised you said you're VX-8300 wasn't cutting it anymore, it's rated pretty high on this site.
Still if your sticking with VZW the best phones probably would be made by LG and Motorola. You can pick up the VX-8700 on E-bay witch is rated pretty high for a VZW phone, so is the Motorola W755 witch is newer.
Bookie

Sep 29, 2008, 1:35 PM
Thanks for the info. So I take it that I should be looking for a phone with more than one CDMA band? I'm also looking at the Motorola E815 and the Motorola Adventure V750...
andy2373

Sep 29, 2008, 1:48 PM
Yes, you want a phone the uses CDMA 850/1900 witch most if not all current VZW phones have. VZW uses 850 but in the rare occurrence your out of VZW coverage area you would be able to roam on the 1900 band.
If you could find a Motorola E815 and are only concerned with voice I would defiantly pick one up. The reviews on that phone are stellar and the only reason people seem to get rid of that phone is because they actually kept the phone so long it wore out. It's widely known that E815 is a signal hound!
jerry 12

Oct 4, 2008, 9:24 PM
most any of the new Motorola's will hold a signal better than others on the market. i have a blackberry 8130 but my old Motorola v3c will hold on a signal better than it will. 🙂
jrfdsf

Sep 30, 2008, 3:55 PM
Bookie said:
I'm in the market for a new Verizon phone, and want one that can do well with the not-so-strong signal at my house. What specs or features give a phone better signal-receiving ability? I don't give a whit about bells and whistles; I just want more than the 1 to 2 bars I'm getting on my 2-year-old LG VX8300. I use it for voice only, not data, so I'm assuming that it doesn't matter if the phone has EVDO rev 0 or A (not that I really know what those are...)

Thanks for any advice or insight you can offer!

My advice:

MOTOROLA
Skiffy

Oct 7, 2008, 4:10 PM
A lot of the info you are getting here is correct. If you don't mind an older phone the E815 has incredible reception. The charging port is the old style pin charger so be careful with it; don't talk while its charging.

If you want something newer take advantage of the 30 day trial period and choose your favortie Moto VZW currently offers and try it out. If it doesn't work try another. The Z6Tv/Z6C does well along with the Adventure and 755.

Good luck!
kapwww

Oct 13, 2008, 10:23 PM
Newer Motos don't seem to be any better than anything else right now from what I have seen. I would shell out the extra money for a small amplifier from Wilson. Then you can get whatever phone you actually want and you don't have to worry about it.
millerlite36

Oct 16, 2008, 1:07 PM
iphone??? she wants a phone that works, not a phone that drops calls
mellowlen62

Oct 14, 2008, 8:36 PM
definitely motorola, and yes, the newer ones are better also...

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.