Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

Reception in marginal areas

mtncaller

Jul 18, 2008, 4:04 PM
I have a Mot 325i that is coming up on its contract date. Want to upgrade but need a phone that works well in fringe reception areas. I'm on Verizon in the CO mtns. The phone and service do pretty well but many times I'm in areas of poor reception. How can I upgrade and know that I'm getting the best phone for reception? Heard that Mot is coming out with an Adventure phone soon - it is ruggedized, etc. How can I evaluate a phones internal reception quality?
kapwww

Jul 20, 2008, 9:13 PM
Reception indicators aren't always accurate when it comes to digital service. If you are consistently in low coverage and another carrier doesn't have better coverage in your areas where you need to use the phone, you can consider an external antenna or possibly a repeater. The antenna would be a portable option. The repeater would be something you could install at your home or business and it would take a stronger outside signal and bring it inside. Not sure if that would help in your case. The antenna would be a cheaper option.
mtncaller

Jul 20, 2008, 9:50 PM
I probably don't need either of those options but would like to see some objective way to determine the quality of the internal antenna and components - something like mil specs where you know there is a baseline required for each performance parameter. Most of the evals for phones are only interested in how many bells and whistles they can put in them w/o regard to reception ability.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.