Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 12 replies

VZW phones and BT object transfer

took

May 23, 2008, 1:55 PM
So i work for verizon but carry at&t (i know BOOO! but i have a grandfather contract with att.. deal is at the bottom of post)

Anyhow i can send files(pics/mp3/havent ran into a problem) to t-mobile/AT&T/and i think sprint. but i cant to Verizon phones... Now the guy with the username here (verizoncripplesphones) makes sense... Is there any way around that? i want to be able to beam songs to my coworkers but cant seem to. I have a Samsung BlackJack, anyone know why this is that verizon cripples BT object transf, and is there a setting/service menu that you can change?

[anyhow my plan is 5 lines. 1100 min family talk for 69.99 for first 2 lines. 9.99 for each additional. unlimited text (as a feature for 30) and early night and weekend...
(continues)
60dollarcarcharger

May 23, 2008, 2:13 PM
nope.. thus the "bt is crippled on vz phones" comments you see on here all the time
took

May 23, 2008, 2:42 PM
☚ī¸ đŸ˜ĸ 😕 and thats why i wont switch as well then.
60dollarcarcharger

May 23, 2008, 3:37 PM
eh... bluetooth is slowly opening up.. I'm not sure what I can and can't transfer on my curve but it will let me do a little object transfer
vs1phn

May 25, 2008, 6:38 PM
Verizon doesn't cripple. I can send mp3, pictures, videos all through bluetooth on my pearl. I've printed using the bluetooth to my printer. The receiving device has to have the ability as well. There are different features for different devices. Make sure the features you want match the device's capabilities. I'm tired of hearing "verizon cripples everything". They really don't.
CellStudent

May 26, 2008, 1:55 AM
vs1phn said:
Verizon doesn't cripple. I can send mp3, pictures, videos all through bluetooth on my pearl. I've printed using the bluetooth to my printer. The receiving device has to have the ability as well. There are different features for different devices. Make sure the features you want match the device's capabilities. I'm tired of hearing "verizon cripples everything". They really don't.

Verizon only cripples the file-transfer capabilities on their traditional handsets, not their PDAs/Blackberries. The "stated" reason for this is so that you can't push protected files like their Get It Now games, ringers and wallpapers from one handset to another and violate copyright laws, while costing VZW big buck...
(continues)
took

May 28, 2008, 6:10 PM
They really do though. EXCLUDING PDA... all the bluetooth capable handsets say in their "supported profiles" object transfer.. so if its not working and samsung/motorola/LG intended it to work... then who crippled them?
Pearl,curve, and moto Q can do object transfer, although i have found that the Q has a special menu you have to use... whereas my blackjack; if bluetooth is on; i can use the alt menu and say send- via bluetooth.
qwavel

Jun 4, 2008, 4:33 PM
Unfortunately, they really do! Maybe not on your pearl, but the consensus seems to be that they cripple the non smart phones.

And, to the best of my knowledge, they are the only carrier anywhere that does this (disables bluetooth object transfer). Am I wrong?
vs1phn

May 25, 2008, 7:02 PM
Verizon doesn't offer an option to pay for earlier nights and weekends. The verizon equivalent for 5 lines would be:

1400 anytime mins $119.99 for first 2 lines ($9.99 each additional) includes: unlimited txt/pic/vid messaging, unlimited nghts/weekends, no roaming or long distance charges.

Now you're paying aprxm: $147.95
With verizon you pay aprx: $149.96 (no early nghts/weekends)

Not a huge difference and you get more minutes.
vs1phn

May 25, 2008, 7:04 PM
and with your employee discount it would be cheaper. why wouldn't you switch? And why wouldn't you know that?
FnKillMeNow

May 28, 2008, 6:36 PM
don't worry too much about not having the carrier you work for. i work for sprint but have verizon. would never in a million years get sprint.
Sliznut

Jun 3, 2008, 11:29 PM
There's two schools of thought to answer why that doesn't work. The nice version says that since there is protected content available (aka ota downloads of music, games, etc) the company is protecting you from breaking the law. The other school says that we like to make money. lol I guess you have to just choose which answer sounds good to you. I will say this though. The one argument about why VZW disabled GPS in many phones actually has a basis in truth. The reason we announced was that the native GPS in the 8830 for example was not secure. The truth of the matter is people saw the results of this when (I think it was Nike and iPod) had a deal where you could use GPS and track/upload jogging routes, etc. People discovered using online tool...
(continues)
Sliznut

Jun 3, 2008, 11:31 PM
I just realized I kind of mangled that statement. You get the point though. The phones that the native GPS was disabled and later assigned to the VZNavigator was because that system is locked to the Navigator so it can't be tracked the same way.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.