Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 10 replies

Is this really true?

lolls

Nov 9, 2007, 5:53 PM
I have heard that in order to keep cell phones from ringing in movie theaters, the theaters send out a pulse or a signal to actually block cell phone reception to insure that phones wont get signal or ring. The reason why I ask is that I am a HUGH movie fan. I love going to the movies, but I work in a profession where I am on call 24/7 365! I havent been going to the movies cause I get no signal with my cell (Cell One) or no signal with my pager! (Verizon) Yeah I have a pager! Is there anything out there that will boost up signal for more reception, or is there a specific carrier that has great reception to the point that it will work in the theater? Has anyone who has been to the movies lately, seen if there phones have signal? Any help wo...
(continues)
Hombre07

Nov 9, 2007, 6:54 PM
Not so, I believe in most states devices like that are illegal, similar to radar jammers. I can't be certain, but I don't see this happening.
techguy22

Nov 9, 2007, 9:05 PM
I think I have heard this rumor as well. I also remember hearing that it was illegal, but people should still turn their phones to silent, vibrate, or off. That is just common courtesy. I mean that is what Voicemail and Text messaging are for anyways.
dog_n_pony

Nov 9, 2007, 10:11 PM
From the FCC website:

Operations
Blocking & Jamming

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fi...
(continues)
lolls

Nov 10, 2007, 12:08 PM
Well it looks like blocking the signal isnt the problem...so now part 2 of the question..how can i boost signal so i can get calls while im in the movies? or if a particular carrier has great reception, which one is it? I would excuse my self if the phone rang, and it would be on vibrate anyway. Like I said before Im in a profession that Im on call all the time, so I would need to be able to receive a call inside the movies.
techguy22

Nov 10, 2007, 12:44 PM
Well part of the problem could be the building. I know when I am back home I get reception everywhere except inside our workshop. It seems to mess with the signal. That could be part of you problem. The other part might be your carrier not having a good signal in that area. It is hard telling with as much as I know but I am guessing it is just the first one.
lolls

Nov 10, 2007, 2:00 PM
Yeah probably the carrier, but when was the last time anyone was in a theatre and noticed if they had signal? If you did, what carrier?
techguy22

Nov 10, 2007, 2:50 PM
I have been to plenty of movies and received text messages and calls, but it could still be the building. I know when I go to the hospital to see my brother I don't get good reception because they put stuff in the walls of the x-ray lab to stop the radiation. The theater might have something that is hindering the signal(on purpose or not) in the walls. Next time you go take someone that has the same carrier as you but a different phone and see what you can get.
paddyoc

Nov 12, 2007, 4:50 PM
Or try out a phone from another carrier, and if reception is the same or worse, just return it..... Coverage maps and the experiences of others dont mean much, try other options for yourself....Good luck....
vzwseniorrep

Nov 11, 2007, 9:06 PM
not true here. i phone rings on vibrate in the movies all the time.
andrew_w

Nov 23, 2007, 10:05 PM
No, this isn't true. I text in movie theaters, and i get service in there, with my sprint razr.

- Andrew W.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.