Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 6 replies

Push to talk

mmdstech2

Jan 15, 2004, 4:14 PM
Verizon lovers-don't kid yourself. Your push to talk(wait) service is horrible. Verizon is a great company with better phones and more advanced features, but Nextel owns the PTT areana. 13 milliom subs all with PTT handsets. Verizons latency is 8-10 seconds for call setup, vs Nextel's sub-second setup. I used there service for a short time, but could not stand the latency. I heard Sprint's ready linc is a little better than Verizon's, but have not used this service. Post your ideas about PTT service, good or bad. That's what these forums are all about. Thanks!
MarkF

Jan 16, 2004, 7:36 AM
You pretty much stated the facts as is. NEXTEL has 10 yrs. experience that is included with Motorola's 20+ years of trunking experience makes them an almost unbeatable combination.

Verizon and Sprint have a lot of work to do to catch up, but remember that the carriers don't invent the technology, they only deploy it.

Mark
Jerry B

Jan 19, 2004, 2:31 PM
We are a dealer of both Nextel and Sprint products and services and I am a user of both.
While Nextel wrote the book on PTT I hve several issues with the quality of Nextel's services and Voice quality.Nextel has a Latency problem of there own when it comes to voicemail notification when out of service area.
We have been using Sprint's Readylink for a little over a month now and find the voice quality much better,I can actually tell the difference between my Grandmother and my Granddaughter! Nextel has imbedded itself in the business customers and doesn't much seem to care with the retail trade so we sell their product accordingly.

Thanks,JB
PupaScoopa

Jan 20, 2004, 4:29 PM
There are tradeoffs to each service... you pick the one that works for you.

The industry will improve this service in due time.
CDMA Guru

Jan 24, 2004, 3:25 PM
I can admit the Verizon Push to Talk service was a wash... However... Motorola Designed the SAME system for Verizion. According to a Motorola Distro Rep I spoke with the Push to Talk Service is obviously on different Type of Technology. The introduction of the service on Verizon Wireless Was very weak. Lack of PTT phone options and technical issues that were Found And corrected Should fix this. I have already seen 3 NEW PTT Verizon wireless Phone prototypes that have been FCC approved and are waiting for launch in Q1 and Q2 of 2004. So watch out Nextel... as for the Latency ... The Numbers in which you gave are inaccurate according the Motorola Specs. There is 2-3 Sec Latency on a Verizon Wireless PTT service. Delays in PTT service can be at...
(continues)
taylor314kce

Mar 25, 2004, 6:24 PM
hey what do ya'll think about cingular lauching their PTT service?
Rich Brome

Mar 26, 2004, 10:09 PM
There's basically no question that Verizon's PTT technology is the worst in the industry. Does that mean it's "horrible"? Not necessarily. Many users would probably find them all "acceptable". It's something each user should decide only after trying it in person.

Personally, I think Verizon should cut their losses, drop their current technology, and adopt Kodiak's RTX. That's the technology Alltel adopted, and so far it's getting rave reviews. It's the best PTT technology for CDMA. (Except perhaps QChat, but that requires 1xRTT release A, and Nextel has an exclusive U.S. license to it.)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.