Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 10 replies

PDA Phone without Required Email

gatordoug

Oct 13, 2007, 9:48 PM
Is their a carrier that will sign you up for a phone with a PDA but you do not need to pay the $39.00 for data. I just want the phone,contacts and a Palm or Outlook calendar.

Thanks

Doug
realtor1

Oct 15, 2007, 10:02 AM
the easiest way to get aroung the crap with the company is to get your own pda instead of buying it out of the store...i would suggest ebay...most companies have a way around making the customer have data but in my case i get a pretty hefty comm. on the data so if they want a pda without data i usually just try to sell a regular phone...but they can do it whether they say they can or not
fascination_street

Oct 15, 2007, 7:48 PM
The reason that carriers push the data package so hard is because PDA phones are constantly submitting and receiving information, so you would definitely want to sign up for at least something minimal. You don't want to get a $4,000.00 cell phone bill b/c you were on a $.15/kb plan...

just some advice.
Argonnj

Oct 23, 2007, 11:17 AM
fascination_street said:
The reason that carriers push the data package so hard is because PDA phones are constantly submitting and receiving information

Uh, no they don't. If you have a Treo and don't set up either email or use the Internet, then the phone will never connect to the data network. The Treo even warns you if some app is trying to connect to the data network. The only thing that will communicate is the phone.
rockprc

Oct 22, 2007, 6:21 PM
ac4321

Oct 22, 2007, 6:39 PM
You can do this with Sprint. One thing, though, is that I would highly recommend having customer care disable access to internet services. Even if you do not have a web plan, the phone is still capable of it and will try to connect unless it is disabled from the phone or account. I'd disable it from the account level to be sure of no extra usage charges.

If you get a rep that says you can't then try again with the next. It's easily doable just most reps want to make a little extra for the data package.
ac4321

Oct 22, 2007, 6:54 PM
Since can't edit... One caveat to the above is that mail-in rebates require a data plan during the processing time. Add that to the above.
😛
BigShowJB

Oct 30, 2007, 7:00 PM
not entirely necessary to go through custycare to block the web....
if you go into the security settings on the phone, you should be able to lock out the data access and the phone would require a security code to turn it back on (usually the last 4 of the phone #to start)
goodbyejack

Oct 30, 2007, 1:07 PM
Argonnj is right!! I work at a COR AT&T store and if you buy a PDA, you arent forced to buy the PDA plan with it. The phone does not access the internet unless you are using an application that uses internet. We have a lot of customers that want a treo just for the phone.
NaCH

Dec 5, 2007, 9:58 AM
I hear ya. I sold a blackberry to a guy yesterday with no BB plan. He said it "looked nice"...anyway sprint doesn make you buy anything and on top of that, if you get the urge its 15 a month. Not too bad
vs1phn

Dec 7, 2007, 7:41 PM
verizon you have to do a data plan on all blackberrys........

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.