Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 40 replies

MobiTV?

pakyooh

Dec 3, 2004, 1:59 AM
Anyone know if MobiTV is going to be available for Motorola V400 Cingular? ATT is letting users subscribe it with their V180 and V220. Since those two are in the lower lines of the motorola i would think they would allow V400s to be able to subscribe to it too..
simplymarcus

Dec 3, 2004, 5:41 PM
the only phones that will have mobitv are edge capable phones v400 is not edge
javier2204

Dec 3, 2004, 10:03 PM
I have mobitv with my v505 it sux but I have it
pakyooh

Dec 4, 2004, 11:55 AM
sorry love cell phones but dont know much about it.. wat is edge?
CainMarko

Dec 4, 2004, 4:22 PM
EDGE is a wireless data service. It's Nation wide on the Cingular network and is currently the fastest data sevice available nationwide.

MobiTV does not require EDGE... it requires a phone with Video Capture. Tho without EDGE, it will be extremely slow.
pakyooh

Dec 5, 2004, 11:24 AM
does v180 and v220 have video capture?
SPCSVZWJeff

Dec 6, 2004, 7:59 PM
EDGE is actually slower than Sprint's 1X CDMA.
If you watch mobitv on a multimedia phone it is very smooth with no "jerkiness" On a standard phone it is slow.
It is acceptable on the VGA-1000 or the VM-680 but on the PM-8200 or any other non MMS phone it is poor quality.
MobiTV does not require video capture, it requires any Sprint Vision enabled phone.
Don't quote me stuff about the superiority of GSM and EDGE because the numbers don't add up.
EDGE is the end of the line for GSM and even it is not a very efficient way of using bandwidth for data.
CainMarko

Dec 6, 2004, 8:18 PM
SPCSVZWJeff said:
EDGE is actually slower than Sprint's 1X CDMA.
If you watch mobitv on a multimedia phone it is very smooth with no "jerkiness" On a standard phone it is slow.
It is acceptable on the VGA-1000 or the VM-680 but on the PM-8200 or any other non MMS phone it is poor quality.
MobiTV does not require video capture, it requires any Sprint Vision enabled phone.
Don't quote me stuff about the superiority of GSM and EDGE because the numbers don't add up.
EDGE is the end of the line for GSM and even it is not a very efficient way of using bandwidth for data.

Man, you are so full of crap. How come everyone but YOU knows that EDGE is faster? Please quote me a source referrencing Sprint's suppo...
(continues)
CainMarko

Dec 6, 2004, 9:06 PM
The truth about Sprint's 1xRtt:

Now SOME people would like you to believe that Santa Clause exists and that the Tooth Fairy gives you money for your teeth. Some people even want you to believe that Sprint's 1xRTT technology is somehow faster than anyone else's. I actually challenged the person who keeps claiming that 1xRTT is faster than EDGE to prove his claims but he can't. So I will hook you good folks up with the truth.

Let's start with what the actual companies say about the technologies.

Cingular says "Based on GSM, the worldwide standard for cellular communications, EDGE is a software enhancement for Cingular's General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) data network that can support peak data rates up to 170 kilobits per second wit...
(continues)
jhmlbrgr

Dec 7, 2004, 8:48 AM
Cain,
You are correct that EDGE is faster than 1xRTT, average connection speed for 1xRTT is actually in the 40-60k range, I have experienced myself and have heard from others that you can get speeds up to about 80k with regularity, although I would never advertise that since you never want to set a customers expectation too high, better to exceed there expectations than fall short of them.

Now EDGE and 1xRTT are both dead with VZW rolling out EVDO. Average connection speeds of 300-500k in 16 cities and 26 airports nationwide and growing more everyday.
CainMarko

Dec 7, 2004, 8:53 AM
Actually EDGE isn't dead at all, EDGE will be reaching speeds up to 300+kbps by the time Cingular releases its UMTS/HSDPA technology which is much faster than ev-do technology. EDGE will compliment the faster UMTS network.
SPCSVZWJeff

Dec 7, 2004, 9:53 AM
I guess experience means nothing. When we hook up a laptop computer to a Sprint phone like the Samsung VGA-1000 and use snap dialer the computer connects at anywhere from 144-256kbps depending on network traffic.
The 1X laptop cards limit the speeds to 144kbps because as we know CDMA assigns bandwidth dynamically rather than use a fixed amount of spectrum like GSM/EDGE. If the limits were not placed on the amount of bandwidth used then the number of users on the network would diminish.
CDMA-2000 supports speeds up to 2.4mbps but at those speeds too much bandwidth is used by a single user.
I did not say EDGE was dead, I said it is the dead end for GSM because after that there is nowhere for a TDMA network to go. It has been optimized to...
(continues)
CainMarko

Dec 7, 2004, 1:10 PM
Experience? I'd have to say it was a LIE. The 1xRTT current release is specified at up 144kbs. The technology that you are saying that allows you to reach up to 256kbps hasn't even been released yet. The network needs an upgrade to get those speeds and it hasn't done it yet. So how is it that Sprint can get those speeds? Answer: It can't. You also expect people to believe that Sprint's 1xRTT is faster than VZW's. That's garbage too. And the EU makes up a whopping 16% of the entire GSM community, so that doesn't explain why EVERY OTHER country adopted it as well.... oh and 90% of the available licences for 3G is in the UMTS technology...so yeah looks like GSM is STILL the worldwide standard. I have yet to hear any proof of your claims...
SPCSVZWJeff

Dec 7, 2004, 8:30 PM
Not a lie, Sprint compresses its data a little better than Verizon does. This adds speed to the network. The customer's computer clearly stated "connected at 256kbps". And this was duplicated more than once with more than one customer. It is not every time, it is often enough that it is not a fluke.
Although Sprint does not mention this because they don't want people connecting their computers to their phones to get cheap high speed and monopolize the bandwidth.

Sprint's usage of 1x is much better than Verizon's mainly because Sprint sees data as their niche, much like T-Mobile does in the GSM world. Sprint's data suite is far superior to Verizon's. The only other carrier that comes close is T-Mobile but their speed is limited by their...
(continues)
CainMarko

Dec 7, 2004, 10:52 PM
I still don't believe you... I have yet to hear anyone besides you claim those ridiculous speeds. Especially when you have Cingular claiming the fastest national wireless data service in the US... you'd think that Sprint would be all over that... but they aren't. I own the Nokia 6230 and it's the fastest data capable device available currently (except UMTS and EV-DO equipment). I was able to get to 160kbps the other day but my phone can reach well above 200.

As far as the Virtual network providers... Sprint started that for one reason: They owe a crapload of money. They rent out the network to anyone who will help them get out of debt quicker. I could start a VMO with sprint if I wanted to.. and Im sorry man... Sprint has one of , if not...
(continues)
southwestcomm

Dec 8, 2004, 12:02 AM
Sprint also signed many MVNO agreements due to the fact their own direct sales force could no longer compete.
I also disagree about the "superior" data network. I've seen Sprint's network completely crap out during high peak times due to high voice demands. As voice demends increase Sprint decreases the bandwidth available to data - severely decreases capacity and throughput.
SPCSVZWJeff

Dec 8, 2004, 12:52 PM
Cingular claims to own the moon, what of that?
They are taking on the carrier with the greatest tendancy to stretch the truth in ATTWS. Well now those liars work for Cingular.

I can only tell you what I saw on a computer screen when we set up customers' dialer software. It may make a difference that it is in a small metro market with Sprint being the 4th largest in customer base in the market.
As for Sprint being an MVNO that is actually kind of smart. Who cares what brand is on the phone using the network if there are customers using the network and paying for it?
The AT&T, Qwest and ESPN brands are huge and have a great following in the marketplace.
It is a fantastic way to create revenue without incurring any marketing costs. If...
(continues)
CainMarko

Dec 10, 2004, 12:46 AM
SPCSVZWJeff said:
Cingular claims to own the moon, what of that?
They are taking on the carrier with the greatest tendancy to stretch the truth in ATTWS. Well now those liars work for Cingular.

You just don't get it do you? ATTWS doesn't exist.
zjc2a

Dec 10, 2004, 2:19 AM
Just out of curiousity, Cain what the hell do you do?
muchdrama

Dec 10, 2004, 12:31 PM
zjc2a said:
Just out of curiousity, Cain what the hell do you do?
Last time I checked he was a seasoned marketing ninja.
CainMarko

Dec 10, 2004, 2:49 PM
Drama is correct. I am an orange Cingular Ninja. With a black belt in Marketing. I am Lord Shinobi CainMarko of the Northeast Region. 🤣 🤣
pizpiz80

Dec 12, 2004, 4:02 PM
Lord WhackJob? is that u?
muchdrama

Dec 8, 2004, 1:21 PM
As far as the Virtual network providers... Sprint started that for one reason: They owe a crapload of money. They rent out the network to anyone who will help them get out of debt quicker. I could start a VMO with sprint if I wanted to.. and Im sorry man... Sprint has one of , if not THE worst reputations as far as network quality...
Did you ever stop to think that Sprint might be renting out MVNO space due to the fact they have a lot of spectrum and it's pretty damn efficient?
blatch

Dec 8, 2004, 3:02 PM
All muchdrama can do is quote people and add comments that irritate people. Sprint quality and speed suck. They should be called Jog. Go away.
jinx7676

Dec 8, 2004, 3:40 PM
blatch said:
All muchdrama can do is quote people and add comments that irritate people. Sprint quality and speed suck. They should be called Jog. Go away.

they're called "Sprint" cuz you have to Run around to get a signal. 🤣
muchdrama

Dec 8, 2004, 9:34 PM
blatch said:
If you knew anything about Sprint's holdings, you'd know that they hold a hell of a lot of spectrum. That's why they're in debt, bud. Got it? Good.
CainMarko

Dec 9, 2004, 1:08 PM
They also still lease their towers from Lucent...

but that's not really the point... the POINT is that 1xRTT doesn't have the capabilities to reach the speeds that Jeff is claiming. The speeds he is claiming is not supported by the current release of 1xRtt. Current 1xRtt peaks at 144kbps. The NEXT release for 1xRtt is SUPPOSED to bring it to 307kbps, but it hasn't even been released yet.
muchdrama

Dec 9, 2004, 1:26 PM
CainMarko said:
They also still lease their towers from Lucent...

but that's not really the point... the POINT is that 1xRTT doesn't have the capabilities to reach the speeds that Jeff is claiming. The speeds he is claiming is not supported by the current release of 1xRtt. Current 1xRtt peaks at 144kbps. The NEXT release for 1xRtt is SUPPOSED to bring it to 307kbps, but it hasn't even been released yet.
Don't worry, I'm not necessarily in the same boat with Jeff. I've never seen rates better than 80 kbps...so I'm keeping my distance from this one.
CainMarko

Dec 9, 2004, 1:31 PM
muchdrama said:
Don't worry, I'm not necessarily in the same boat with Jeff. I've never seen rates better than 80 kbps...so I'm keeping my distance from this one.

You and everyone else with a brain...
kigirl11

Dec 9, 2004, 9:17 PM
Do know anything about a wireless earpiece for the LG VX 7000. I was told it had to be bluetooth. I thought u might know...it is w/a verizon carrier.
CainMarko

Dec 9, 2004, 9:35 PM
the phone has some wired headsets available, but it does not support bluetooth.
muchdrama

Dec 10, 2004, 12:29 PM
CainMarko said:
muchdrama said:

You and everyone else with a brain...
Well, no offense Cain, but Jeff is a pretty bright guy. Most of the things he's said in these forums I've followed up on and done my research. He's a knowledgeable guy...and he can spell! Aces!
CainMarko

Dec 10, 2004, 2:45 PM
Im not doubting his intelligence. Im doubting his claims.
muchdrama

Dec 10, 2004, 4:18 PM
CainMarko said:
Im not doubting his intelligence. Im doubting his claims.
You're always so stoic. Lighten up! It's Christmas!
Mr Mojo Risin

Dec 15, 2004, 10:40 AM
Sorry Cain, but I have to agree with Jeff. CDMA offers much more voice and data capacity than does GSM. The reason GSM is more widely used is simply that it is an older technology an of course has been available for longer. In fact if you look you will see that Cingular has already started launching some WCDMA test markets.
MightyJoeYoung

Dec 15, 2004, 6:02 PM
Mr Mojo Risin said:
Sorry Cain, but I have to agree with Jeff. CDMA offers much more voice and data capacity than does GSM. The reason GSM is more widely used is simply that it is an older technology an of course has been available for longer. In fact if you look you will see that Cingular has already started launching some WCDMA test markets.

Sorry, I'm going to have to agree with Cain. WCDMA is as different from CDMA as it is from GSM. GSM has been in a live network since 1992 and CDMA has been around since 1995. So the three year gap doesn't explain why GSM has 1.3 billion customers and CDMA has 200 million. Cingular is actually updating to UMTS which is a bit more than just plain jane WCDMA, but that ...
(continues)
pizpiz80

Dec 15, 2004, 7:28 PM
Of course you're gonna agree with yourself. 🙄
pizpiz80

Dec 15, 2004, 7:30 PM
😁
MightyJoeYoung

Dec 15, 2004, 7:56 PM
You don't mind insulting people but you run to admin just as soon as someone insults you? Hypocrite.
pizpiz80

Dec 16, 2004, 12:56 AM
And u think i care? 🙄
jas259871

Dec 16, 2004, 11:44 PM
Mobitv needs edge technology to work (enhanced data for the global evolution) running at 120K and is twice the speed as gprs (global packet radio service) 56K It works on the nokia 6620, Moto V551, V505, V600. If you use this feature on AT&T make sure that you have the unlimited Mmode or with Cingular the Media Enhanced package as it will use alot of download data

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.