Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 7 replies

Whats everone think of UMA devices

cellguy23

Aug 31, 2007, 4:34 PM
I just got done writing a reply in the T-Mobile forum about a possible uma enabled Curve and it got me thinking about uma devices in general.

I currently work for Cincy Bell, which supports uma, but I really haven't seen a big response from the general public to get uma. Most common people just don't seem to care about it at all, and Bell doesn't even charge for it on some plans, it's FREE for life.

I've used the Nokia 6086 with uma enabled and I wasn't unpressed at all. I truly believe the call quality went down severely while connected , my the calls dropped at least 50% of the time.

I want to know what everyone else thinks about these devices in general.

PLEASE RESPOND!!!! 😁
chainsaw

Aug 31, 2007, 6:37 PM
I've heard nothing but good things about it. It is a great concept and a great solution for people who live outside their carriers coverage area or are in a dead spot. I just don't think that people really know what it is or that it exists in the first place that is why public response hasn't been very high. I also think once they can get the capability into more devices it will have a bigger response.
Cellfoneslinger

Sep 2, 2007, 1:21 PM
Whats UMA?
nextel18

Sep 2, 2007, 6:07 PM
UMA is called Unlicensed Mobile Access, which allows GSM and GPRS networks to use that unlicensed spectrum Bluetooth and 802.11. It allows the handset (of course it must have dual mode functionality with UMA built in) to roam between the carrier’s networks and the public and private unlicensed networks by handing off the user seamlessly without any notice by the user.
nextel18

Sep 2, 2007, 6:11 PM
It is a very interesting technology starting to gain traction but at a slow pace because it is so new for T-mobile. I think the devices are ok but they should perhaps come out with more of them in their phone portfolio. Problem is; the battery life isn’t so good, but that isn’t new as it searches for a number of networks.

I haven’t tested it personally, but from talking to some folks of mine, they say it is a good technology and they don’t see a big drop in call quality that you did. The marketing campaign that T-mobile does for this service is a very good one. With the spread of Bluetooth and Wifi type technology throughout this country and globally, I think we will see a lot more companies adopt this technology going forward.
V-Town

Sep 3, 2007, 6:24 PM
Were you using the T-Mobile router or your own router?
cellguy23

Sep 4, 2007, 11:37 AM
My own at home and i connected at a few extra places like the mall, coffee shope etc.
DJ Parkay

Sep 4, 2007, 12:40 PM
Its popular as hell with business owners in Tennessee right now. unfortunately one company Big Pink Stink has the monopoly on the UMA stuff and doesnt advertise it for $hi+.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.