Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 7 replies

Is the IDEN network going to disappear all together??

slm616

Jul 6, 2007, 12:21 PM
👀 Is the IDEN network going to disappear all together?? What if people like my friends and I like the network. Not to mention phones like the I880. I wish Nextel never sold out to Sprint, merge whatever. People like the government use IDEN all day long I see. My friends like police officers, firefighters, etc use the IDEN phones like the I880 and if they wanted a cdma phone hence the hybrid I am talking about we should just go to VERIZON!!
coziamnumber1

Jul 6, 2007, 2:01 PM
there are 3 new phones slated for release on the iden network that have been fcc approved. so only time will tell.
Rich Brome

Jul 6, 2007, 4:43 PM
It's old, old technology. It will go away eventually. However, Sprint is being VERY conservative about phasing it out.

Hybrid phones are just step one, and they're still 100% iDEN for the PTT part.

They won't start really playing down iDEN (much less phasing it out) until they have something genuinely as good or better to replace it. That's coming, but it hasn't launched yet.
jrfdsf

Jul 17, 2007, 12:33 PM
Very true. And it also remains to be seen what happens with iDEN as far as regional carriers who use it, such as SouthernLinc and AirTel.

If QChat will work as well, then I don't personally care. But I remain cautiously optimistic. iDEN PTT will be very hard to equal, much less beat.

My main objection is Sprint dropping the Nextel branding. While networks and technology are constantly undergoing change and improvements, changing branding on a well known product that is synonymous with what it represents (i.e., Nextel-walkie-talkies, Xerox-copiers, Weed Eater-weed trimmers) is corporate suicide!
banden

Jul 18, 2007, 2:01 PM
It's my understanding that February 2008 Sprint's iDen network is slated to be cut to half it's bandwidth. I can't remember if the FCC has required it or if Sprint is doing it voluntarily. It seems to be coresponding to other carrier's plans to shut down their analog networks.

My guess is that sprint plans on using it only for PTT.

In canada the iDen network (Mike) is run by Telus. The new CDMA/iDen hybrid phones would work well for them as well.
themekillz

Aug 9, 2007, 3:30 PM
i do tier 2 tech support for nextel.
i believe IDEN will fade out ( just as everything else) but the PTT will be ran over a digital cignal like cingulars.
i dont believe the PTT is going anywhere considering its the thing that gives nextel an edge over competitors.
Ray

Aug 10, 2007, 7:33 AM
Once the 1xEV-DO Rev A launch is completed across all the 1xEV-DO Rev 0 as well as 1xRTT networks, Sprint is suppose to be implimenting Qualcomm's QChat which in essence will be a High Performance Push To Talk/HPPT solution.
N38

Aug 10, 2007, 3:30 PM
hello

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.