Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 8 replies

Can I ask my dumb tech questions here?

Ampersan

Jun 22, 2007, 1:06 PM
I'm trying to become a cell-phone tech geek. I've been reading through the glossary here on phnoescoop but I have 4 quick question. Is EV-DO to CDMA what EDGE is to GSM, except faster?

2. If a CDMA phone doesn't use EV-DO, what would it probaby use? (its slower than EV-DO, I know that much)

3. Can a full browser on a Treo work without EV-DO for using the internet?

4. This ones a little confusing; If a company carries treo 650's, but not anything higher, would the scripting for data usage for 650's work on a 680 or 700 if it was flashed on to it?

BONUS QUESTION!: Does any of this make sense?

Any help at all would be appreciated.
MichaelBB

Jun 22, 2007, 2:39 PM
1. Yes

2. Not sure about that one but you could find the answer on VZW's web site or call there Customer service

3. What do you mean by full browser? Ya got me on that one.

4. Not a clue, but I would lean towards software to hardware and if it was supported if you get my drift.

Yes it makes sense, however I am NOT sure if you can ask tech questions but I figured it wouldnt hurt to answer you either. Also you mite want to head over to Howardforums.com and do some reading there.

Best of luck
😁
Ampersan

Jun 22, 2007, 2:49 PM
Hey I appreciate that.
katrina

Jun 22, 2007, 2:42 PM
1) EV-DO is to CDMA what UMTS is to GSM (more or less)

2) CDMA 1xRTT

3) If it's using CDMA: 1xRTT, or if it's a GSM Treo, of course its using GPRS or EDGE ;-) or it has WiFi capability and it can use WiFi

4) Huh?

Ampersan said:
I'm trying to become a cell-phone tech geek. I've been reading through the glossary here on phnoescoop but I have 4 quick question. Is EV-DO to CDMA what EDGE is to GSM, except faster?

2. If a CDMA phone doesn't use EV-DO, what would it probaby use? (its slower than EV-DO, I know that much)

3. Can a full browser on a Treo work without EV-DO for using the internet?

4. This ones a little confusing; If a company carries treo 650's, but not anything higher, would the scripting f
(continues)
Ampersan

Jun 22, 2007, 2:55 PM
In that case it would be using 1xRTT. Thanks for your help!
satansk8

Jul 31, 2007, 4:13 PM
1) Evdo is to cdma as edge is to gsm. it goes faster with the rev-A and with the 3g also.

2)katrina has it

3)yeah a treo can work with the full browers on the 1x network but it is like using dial up on myspace.

4)it is possible that the scripting would work. not likely though. the 700 has a different processor unit. I have seen this work on htc-6700's when going from altel to verizon. altel has a slower network the 1x but the verizon model runs faster because of being able to access the evdo. I would say give it a shot for sure if it doesnt work out you can always script it back.
Jorin

Aug 6, 2007, 11:02 AM
You said specifically the Treo 680 and the only problem with flashing that is that its a GSM phone. I am by no means a flashing expert, but I'm about 95% sure that it would involve some hardware in there when going from a GSM to CDMA, and not just scripting.
satansk8

Aug 7, 2007, 1:40 PM
I was refering to htc products. the 680 does cannot be put onto the cdma from the gsm. but the concept is the same if you are working with treo it is simular just realigning the phone settings or "unlocking the phone". your right though I however did not mention the 680.
tgoace

Aug 10, 2007, 9:50 PM
If it's not in EV-DO it uses 1xRTT. It's the standard non-broadband reception.

1x (single-carrier) Radio Transmission Technology

The first in a family of cdma2000 1x digital wireless standards designed to extend and replace the IS-95 CDMA standard. 1xRTT is sometimes referred to as a "2.5G" standard.

Compared to the IS-95 CDMA technology it replaces, 1xRTT offers increased network voice capacity. This benefit requires support on both the base station (tower) and handset (phone). If everyone using a given tower has a 1xRTT phone, twice as many people can use that tower at the same time, compared to the old IS-95 standard.

1xRTT also offers much faster data speeds. The initial release - release 0 (zero) - supports data speeds peak...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.