Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 5 replies

J2ME: how many phones support it?

John Galt

May 21, 2007, 12:19 PM
How many phones out there today support J2ME?

What number and percentage of currently available phones in the phonescoop.com database support J2ME?
katrina

May 25, 2007, 1:26 PM
Almost all halfway recent GSM phones support J2ME, but not all use the same version. Older phones tend to use MIDP 1.0 and CLDC 1.0 (thats Mobile Information Device Profile and Common Limited Device Confiuguration)

Newer phones often support MIDP 2.0 and CLDC 1.1 which adds a number of improvements and makes writting applications much easier. Additionally, most phones support various extensions such as 3D graphis or VoIP which are not part of the current J2ME base standards.
Rich Brome

May 26, 2007, 5:40 PM
Most GSM and most Sprint CDMA phones support J2ME. "Most" means all but the most entry-level phones. It also excludes most Windows Mobile smartphones.
katrina

May 28, 2007, 1:29 PM
Many of the new Windows Mobile devices do include J2ME support, but its a bit different as the J2ME environment is inside its own application seperated from the rest of the system. I think that this is one of those carrier-dependant things weather or not the include it. Also the J2ME environment on most windows mobile phones is not nearly as complete as the one on a recent Nokia or Sony Ericsson phone.
Rich Brome

May 28, 2007, 1:49 PM
True, it's not a standard part of Windows Mobile, but many carriers do choose to add a third-party Java VM to their Windows Mobile devices they offer.
southwestcomm

May 29, 2007, 11:29 PM
Don't forget iDEN - 99% of iDEN handsets are J2ME as well.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.