Home  ›  Forums  ›

Techs & Trends

all discussions

show all 9 replies

I want a smart phone and need help

calebabc

Apr 8, 2007, 7:15 AM
I am currently with Nextel and have been for nearly 8 years. I have never been with any other carrier and am interested in switching to another company that has better options for smart phones. I have found myself leaning towards a windows based smartphone so that I can use applications like excel on it. I would like decent data speeds and such and am open to any carrier. I am currently leaning towards Alltel because I know a lot of people on it and they have the my circle thing but don't know how well the data speeds are in comparrison to verizon and such. Any help is appriciated!
Argonnj

Apr 8, 2007, 12:37 PM
Tough one. For best selection, AT&T would be your best bet. Sprint has the cheapest data rates, which you will need for you new smart phone. At $15 for unlimited data, Sprint is by far the best deal. AT&T will be more then double that for unlimited data. Whatever you do, stay away from Verizon. Sure they have the most extensive network, but they are the highest in data costs and their smart phone selection is no better then Sprint's.
calebabc

Apr 8, 2007, 3:51 PM
I am in NC and have not heard very good things about AT&T (is that Cingular now?). Do you know if they are any good in NC? Thanks for the input!
Argonnj

Apr 8, 2007, 7:49 PM
calebabc said:
I am in NC and have not heard very good things about AT&T (is that Cingular now?). Do you know if they are any good in NC? Thanks for the input!

Yes, AT&T bought up Cingular. Check their website, the new maps give you a pretty good idea of signal strength in the areas you will be using your phone. I personally use Sprint and have a Treo 700p. Its a pretty good phone, even though its a little chunky compared to some of the newer smartphones. Also stay away from the moto Q. I heard nothing but bad things about that phone.
calebabc

Apr 8, 2007, 8:52 PM
What do you think of Sprint? Specifically their data speeds and coverage?

Thanks,

Caleb
Argonnj

Apr 9, 2007, 9:45 AM
Speed is good, they are deploying their high speed network faster then anybody else. As far as coverage, its good in NJ where I live. Like I said, look at the coverage maps for the big carriers and ultimately pick who has the best coverage for where you are going to use the phone. Speed, price and a great phone isn't going to do you any good without good coverage.
dead_psycho1

Apr 9, 2007, 12:43 PM
Yes sprint has a faster and more expansive evdo network also consider the 700p it can view and edit word and excel documents just like its windows mobile counterpart plus it also has sprint tv but if you don't care about tv than go with something windows based...
jjgreene

Apr 8, 2007, 7:55 PM
not to confuse you...lol

AT&T wireless was horrible, cingular(owned by bellsouth and SBC) purchased AT&T wireless back in December of 2004.....

last year SBC(which owned the rights to the AT&T name) changed their name to AT&T and purchased bellsouth, which provided them with full ownership of Cingular wireless...now they have changed bellsouth and cingular into AT&T(part of "the new AT&T"...

well anywho...

AT&T has the best selection and capabilitied for smartphones

if your looking for a phone that can do anything and everything go with the 8525(broadband date speeds), if you want something that can give you slightly better reception go with the blackjack...

8525 gives you the ability to download detachments and edit them a...
(continues)
Argonnj

Apr 9, 2007, 9:48 AM
jjgreene said:
verizon however is a much better carrier than sprint....

Maybe in overall coverage area, but thats it. Verizon is a big company who cares little about its customers.
jjgreene

Apr 9, 2007, 9:53 AM
it's the same deal with

verizon over sprint

as

Cingular/AT&T is over T-mobile

one will provide better coverage and the other will provide better customer service......

In cingular's case though they are far more advanced with their technology then t-mobile is, and have far more coverage

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.